Head of Marketing
San Francisco, CA /
Courier is the fastest way for developers to build notifications for their app. Our APIs take the tedium out of integrating various notification channels, while our visual designer lets anyone design a message template and deliver their notifications to the best channel for each user with a single API call. Email, Push, Slack, SMS, you name it. Think "Stripe, for notifications."
We’ve raised $12.5 million from Bessemer Venture Partners, Matrix Partners, Twilio, SendGrid, Slack, and Y Combinator. We're fanatical about delivering an amazing experience to software developers of companies big and small; if you are too, we should talk!
Courier is seeking our first marketing leader. We are looking for an acquisition-driven Head of Marketing to drive growth, build community, and increase demand with our core audiences. This role will be setting the foundation for a scaled marketing operation; a true opportunity to lead and drive real impact for an exciting young business. While this is a full-stack role, anyone focused on performance and efficient spend will be a great candidate.
At Courier we market our product to engineers, designers and product managers. The Head of Marketing at Courier will comfortably move across many marketing disciplines including growth marketing, demand generation, funnel optimization, tech stack management, marketing operations, category creation and development, content creation and competitive intelligence to drive qualified prospects to the platform.
What You'll Do
- Define Goals & Strategy | You’ll define the goals, core strategies and most efficient tactics to drive cost-effective acquisition and retention for our customers.
- Forecast Marketing Impact | You’ll manage the revenue forecast and delivery for your channels, identifying opportunities to drive and scale profitable new customer acquisition.
- Scale the Marketing Function | You’ll work with our founder to select a creative agency partner to execute against your marketing strategy, as well as managing their work quality and schedule.
- Funnel optimization | You’ll outline and optimize the marketing and sales funnel. Work with engineering and sales to suggest modifications and improvements to increase conversion.
- Developer Community Marketing | You’ll increase Courier's credibility within the development community through authentic content and partnerships to drive awareness and acquisition with Courier developers, project managers, and designers. Build advocates and relationships, make the developer community better through information sharing, access to our product, and educational content.
- Growth/Performance Marketing | You’ll use paid and owned channels to drive engagement and adoption. Leverage growth loops and established marketing techniques to encourage organic acquisition, and develop ideas and concepts to unlock new acquisition channels and methods.
- Channel Management | You’ll maintain consistent, high-quality messaging and creative assets across all owned channels including web, email, LinkedIn, paid, sponsored content, our blog, and other channels.
- Go-to-Market Strategy | You’ll determine why users buy and develop strategies to increase comprehension of our offering. Take new products and features to market.
- Budget management | You’ll manage the marketing budget to company goals, including in-house and contractor spend.
What We Look For
- Acquisition driven – demonstrated experience engaging prospects and moving them through an online marketing funnel to a free trial and acquisition
- Demonstrated experience executing a data-driven approach to prioritize, test, evaluate, and optimize marketing experiments to cost-effectively acquire new customers
- An excellent communicator
- Strong operating skills across both the details and the strategy
- Experienced with community and growth marketing tactics and building referrals
- Experience with onsite conversion optimization
- Experience with community marketing
- Experience with engineering focused digital demand generation techniques
- BONUS! Experience working with engineers, designers and/or product leaders
- BONUS! Experience developing, designing or working with engineers on web products
Education and Experience
- Undergrad degree with an emphasis in marketing, communications, or advertising.
- 3+ years experience marketing to developers
- 3+ years startup experience, including experience developing and executing marketing plans. Sophisticated knowledge of the latest trends in digital communications and social media.
- Running performance marketing campaigns across paid channels and reporting on those results, inclusive of calculating a CAC and optimizing those costs.
- Community, social, or influencer marketing
- Digital demand generation
Committed to Being Inclusive
At Courier, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in how software communicates with humans. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to building an inclusive environment where you can be you.
* Generous Equity Plan
* Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision) – we cover 99% of your personal and dependent premiums
* Unlimited Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
We are located in SOMA near 5th & Folsom, only a few blocks away from BART, MUNI, and CalTrain. (As with most companies, we are working remotely during the pandemic until it safe to return to the office.)
Security & Compliance
Courier takes protecting the data of our customers – and of their notification recipients – seriously. Every Courier employee goes through security training and a background check as part of onboarding. Each employee is expected to follow Courier's security and compliance processes, and uphold industry best practices.