Lead Product Designer
Mountain View, CA
About the role
We are looking for a talented and passionate design leader with broad experience to lead product design and UI/UX research at Tubular. This role will be tightly embedded in all aspects of product development. Your leadership experience and design skills will have a massive impact on the future of video intelligence.
As Tubular Labs’ Lead Product Designer, you will play a critical role in shaping our customers’ experience. You will be equal parts invested in crafting form and function, and helping research the long term direction of the company. You will ensure Tubular delivers highly usable, intuitive and aesthetically pleasing products. You will shape our product strategy, lead improvements on our product and engineering workflows, and grow a world-class design team.
Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you will be a key member of a small and highly influential product team.
- You will partner with Product Managers and Engineers to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch; designing flows and experiences that are incredibly simple and elegant.
- You will be starting the Tubular design from scratch. As a team of 1 for the first 6 months, you’ll need to be excited about rolling-up your sleeves, working tightly alongside Product and Engineering, and getting hands on with all web product development.
- We have an ambitious roadmap and we work in a fast paced environment. You’ll need to juggle multiple projects in parallel, and make prudent decisions about how much time to invest in each. This means balancing perfectionism and pragmatism.
- You’ll make your own mark on Tubular product. You’ll define and be responsible for a clear and achievable design roadmap, including success criteria and metrics, that outlines research, strategy and budget.
- You’re an effective researcher and ambassador. You will play a central role in launching our product advisory board, working with some of the leading executives in the media industry today, with occasional travel to LA, New York and London to convene these groups.
- You are comfortable using data to inform design decisions. You are competent using web analytics (E.g. Google Analytics, Mixpanel), session recording (E.g. Inspectlet, Tealeaf), customer satisfaction measures (E.g. Net Promoter Score), testing capabilities (e.g. Optimizely), and qualitative feedback to inform your design choices.
- Over time, you will recruit a design and research team. Empower them, setting clear expectations, goals, and an environment in which the team creates best-in-class user experiences.
- You have successes under your belt. You and your teams have shipped elegant, productive, and inspiring products which have succeeded in the market.
- You have held previous roles managing UI/UX, product design and/or user research groups, either in-house or agency-side. You are experienced managing a range of talent from mid-level designers through to senior designers or UI/UX managers.
- You are used to working in a sprint-based, agile team. That means juggling multiple projects and need to make pragmatic trade offs on designs. You are used to defending your recommendations eloquently; but remain open to the input of others.
- You are a demonstrated leader. You have a track record of developing strong teams who commit to your work, to you personally, and to your firm. You are experienced working remotely with team members who may be separated by many miles, time zones and cultural differences.
- You care deeply about the many micro-details that comprise great craft. You coach your teammates both as an executive and an artist. You treat work as art.
Expertise & Experience
- 5+ Years relevant experience, in product design, web/mobile design and/or user research (web-based SaaS product development preferred but not essential)
- Agile UX and Agile Development experience
- Familiar with front end design principles and leading technologies (Angular, React, Preact, …)
- Expert in standard design tools (Sketch, Illustrator/Adobe suite)
- Competent prototyping ability (Invision, MarvelApp, Framer, …)
- Comfortable with basics of HTML, CSS
- Experience designing and maintaining holistic design pattern libraries for use across a large product or website
- A portfolio with a wide range of product work where you’ve played a key part in leading the design team to success
- Experience working with both local and remote engineering teams
- Experience organizing and leading cross-functional design sprints
What do we offer
- Chance to play with the hottest firms in media and technology
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Daily catered lunches, snacks, and other stuff to help you get through the day
- A 401(k) plan to help you plan for your future
- Flexible PTO
- FREE health insurance plans, dental and vision packages (3 out of 4 plans) to fit your needs to ensure you’re happy and healthy
- Commuter benefits that make getting to and from work a breeze
- Awesome work environment