Development Manager - Launch Engineering
Toronto or Kitchener
Launch Services – Launch Engineering
As a Development Manager on Tulip's Launch Engineering team, you will guide multiple small teams responsible for design and implementation of custom solutions to enable our clients to maximize the potential of their retail associates. We value building consistent, usable, forward-looking, maintainable software.
Who you are:
We are looking for enthusiastic mentors who aren't afraid to take on big and exciting opportunities and are comfortable dealing with ambiguous problems. You’ll bring a passion for process, an eye for best-practices, and a hunger for continuous improvement as you nurture teams of backend and mobile developers, guiding them as they plan, design, implement, and support bespoke software applications utilizing Tulip’s core product offering.
When you join Tulip, you’ll be part of a fast-growing group of people who come from different backgrounds, countries, and experience. We believe in investing in our people, building positive relationships with our customers, and treating our work like craft. We prioritize diversity, inclusion and building a community, and we stay humble and hungry.
What you'll do:
- Coach and motivate team members to their optimum performance levels
- Collaborate with other software teams, project directors, solutions engineers, quality assurance, and both internal and external stakeholders to scope and plan engineering efforts and dependencies
- Plan and guide Agile ceremonies for your teams to track delivery, manage blockers and dependencies, and monitor metrics like sprint velocity, burndown, and backlog, providing continuous and timely feedback to the teams and the stakeholders
- Provide technical leadership to our team, identifying areas for improvement, alignment, and strategic direction
- Mentor your team’s career growth through the setting of goals and expectations, evaluation of performance, and recommendations for advancement
- Manage and execute project plans and delivery commitments
- Champion the adoption of best-practices approaches and processes within your team and assist them throughout the transition
What you have:
- 5+ years experience building high volume, scalable systems with 2+ years of managing software engineering teams
- Experience in supporting a team using Agile methodologies, including sprint planning, and scrum management
- Experience in delivering SaaS applications for the cloud
- Expertise in designing web APIs and a solid understanding of REST principles
- Excellent knowledge of software architecture and design patterns
- Thoughtful problem solver who can simplify complex processes
- An environment passionate about growth and learning
- Flexible hours for our early risers and night owls
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid sick days
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Corporate gym rate
- Weekly team lunches with halal and vegetarian options
- Healthy (and less healthy) snacks and gourmet espresso
- Breathtaking Toronto office on the waterfront and close to Union station
- Creative community space in our Communitech office in Kitchener
What we do:
Tulip Retail is the first mobile platform built exclusively for store associates. Leading retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Coach, and Chanel believe in enabling the next generation of store associates with mobile technology using Tulip. We’re a team of experts who have worked with and for retailers over the past 20 years and are driven to build a company whose mission is to enable one of the world’s largest job markets. By placing Tulip-enabled iPads into the hands of associates, our goal is to provide them with instant and reliable access to product information, while also being able to transact, communicate, and collaborate in an omnichannel world.
Tulip Retail is strongly committed to equal opportunities in employment. We welcome applications from all minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of Tulip Retail.
Tulip Retail welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply.