Technical Director, Solutions Engineering
Strategic Customers – Strategic Customers
It's our time to scale. It's your time to be part of something big.
Tulip's mission is bold. We're a team of experts who have worked with and for retailers over the past 20 years. We are driven to disrupt an entire industry and enable one of the world's largest job markets.
By placing Tulip-enabled iPhones into the hands of associates - at leading retailers like Saks Fifth Avenue, Kate Spade, Coach, and Chanel - our goal is to provide them with instant and reliable access to product and customer information while also being able to transact and collaborate in an omnichannel world.
Tulip is a place you come to make an impact, working with like-minded people to build something meaningful using the best technology. We are growing, and while lean is great, we need more people, energy, innovation, and talent.
Who you are
Right now, we are adding a Technical Director, Solutions Engineering to the team. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a collaborative manager and take ownership for the team building out the Tulip platform, increasing accessibility and efficiency.
As a Technical Director, Solutions Engineering on the Strategic Customers team, you will be a key part of projects to build both core product features and unique solutions for a small group of Tulip’s most elite fashion retail clients. You will be instrumental in the continuing advancement and innovation of what is to be known as the industry standard for store associate mobile enablement, enabling these elite clients' next generation retail experience.
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience leading technical design, development and deployment of customer engagements, overseeing a small team of developers while carrying out design reviews/code reviews throughout the project life cycle. As the Technical Lead, you will work closely with our Product Managers and Engagement Leads to understand project requirements, to define technical solutions, to help define project timelines, and to ensure the project is delivered on time and working properly, exceeding our customers’ expectations.
As part of the Strategic Customers team, you will:
- Work directly with retail clients to shape the technical solution including leading the design and development of the system integration, platform configuration, and custom components to meet business requirements
- Build and maintain technical client relationships to support evolving business challenges
- Develop effort estimates to support scoping and project planning
- Analyze implementation options, including pros/cons, and provide recommendations to clients
- Lead a cross-functional technical team, including architecting solutions, conducting code reviews and leading troubleshooting activities
- Day-to-day management and mentoring of small teamImplement and enhance development processes that maximize the efficiency of the development team, applying learnings from previous projects as needed
- Own technical delivery from scope, schedule, resource, and quality perspectives
- Work closely with core Product Development teams to develop product features in line with the technical roadmap and implementation blueprints
What you bring:
- Post-secondary education in engineering, computer science and/or business degree is required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage rapidly evolving priorities simultaneously and proven ability to deliver in a fast paced environment
- Experience in leading teams to success using best practice software developments standards
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, as well as demonstrated tenacity and persistence, with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Development: Full Stack Development experience, familiarity with common web technology and Agile methodology
- Bonus skill - Knowledge of payment hardware and software, order management, or other retail technologies. Experience in a client facing role at any level
Tulip has perks, career progress, and an intimate culture. We have:
- A fantastic office space in downtown Toronto and downtown Kitchener with a flexible work environment that includes a wellness/prayer room.
- An excellent healthcare plan with no wait time, paid parental leave, and corporate gym rates.
- A culture of openness and idea generation. We have weekly all-hands and quarterly town halls. We pride ourselves on our transparency and keeping it real. From the most senior to the newest team member, we give you access to decision makers and career building work.
- The opportunity to grow and apply new skills be it hands-on or leadership. We prioritize diversity, inclusion, and building a community. We're a little weird but in a good way.
- A plethora of healthy (and not so healthy) snacks, coffees and teas. Social events, ping pong tables, and free lunch once a week.
- A month-long Festivus celebration with desk decorating contests often ending with trains running along the ceilings or individually painted nutcrackers on every desk.
- A team that commutes from one city to the other on occasion, with charcuterie trays in hand.
- Awards of a strange kind from the (most) wacky haircut(s) to the best tattoos.
Why we are awesome.
Tulip is hungry and humble. When you join Tulip, you'll be part of a strong, thriving, diverse group of people who come from different disciplines, countries, and experiences. We do what we love and it shows in our unrelenting pursuit of affecting real change. We believe in investing in our people, building positive relationships with our customers, and treating our work like our craft.
Tulip is at the cutting edge of technology. We work with big-name retailers. It's a chance to step up to solving complex technical problems and develop a deeper understanding of the retail world while being part of a niche startup style company. We don't fear failure; we embrace challenges. We're excited about taking the lesser known paths, using the open source tools and keeping up with the pace of evolving tech solutions. It's fun, it's fast, and it's future-focused.
Tulip gives back. Inspired, passionate, and committed people helped make us the successful company we are today. We challenge norms and put people before profits. Our CEO, Ali Asaria, created The Tulip Foundation, a charity controlled by all of us, the employees. We believe we can build a great company that changes the technical space while simultaneously giving back to society and the community.
Feel like you can't tick all the boxes? If you have some of the skills and experience that we're looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply.
Tulip Retail is strongly committed to equal opportunities in employment. We welcome applications from all minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of Tulip Retail.
Tulip Retail welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.