Financial Systems Engineer
Engineering – Financial /
At Twisp, we’re a team of fintech veterans developing primitives to help engineers confidently build systems that handle financial transactions, balances, and insights at any scale. We’re a fully remote company with a mission to transform arcane financial protocols and complex ledger systems into simple, well-crafted developer experiences.
Although ledgers, accounting structures, and financial protocols are at the heart of systems that track transactions and balances, developer tooling to build this core financial infrastructure doesn't exist. At Twisp, we work to deliver simple and composable financial primitives that help developers build these complex systems with confidence.
Twisp is fully funded and backed by top investors in our domain.
For the uninitiated, a double-entry ledger is deceptively simple to implement. Yet often we see homegrown accounting systems grow more and more inscrutable over time. Real-world ledgers are complex. They’re confounded by data and cash reconciliation, knowledge of accounting principles, dependence on external systems-of-record, participation in byzantine financial network rules, regulations, and protocols, along with innumerable edge cases. As a result, we see some of the most senior engineers in organizations mired in building and maintaining the undifferentiated and low-level components of these financial systems.
As a financial systems engineer at Twisp, you’ll focus on designing and delivering primitives that give developers a clear mental model for how to build, compose, and maintain critical systems-of-record and the systems that depend on ledgers. You will ensure that our financial primitives extend the same transactional and integrity guarantees of our core system.
This position requires a deep understanding of architecting financial systems. For example, you may be asked to envision what primitives are needed to deploy a globally distributed accounting system to power a multi-national bank, to bring financial observability to highly-regulated and complex cross-border payments systems, or to design protocols for automated reconciliation with minimal human intervention.
We're building a team of expert financial system engineers who pride themselves on writing correct code that makes the world of finance more accessible. Building compelling developer tools is part art form, part science. A best-in-class API is qualitative. Transaction and data integrity guarantees are science. You will be equally comfortable discussing the nuances of ACH NOC processing or the data integrity guarantees that come with different transaction isolation levels.
- Promote a culture of customer focus, engineering rigor, and financial correctness.
- Design, build, and test developer-facing abstractions for composing accounting primitives and interactions with financial protocols.
- Communicate and showcase examples of well-architected financial systems.
- Architect and develop cloud native systems with a focus on security, reliability, and scalability.
- Engage customers and partners to design, iterate, and deliver software that solves problems.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You’re a driven individual contributor with a mindset of ownership, execution, and delivery.
- You’re familiar with the implementation details of ISO 20022, ACH, ISO 8583, or similar protocols.
- You understand how PCI DSS, SOC2, ISO 27001, or similar standards apply to the software development lifecycle.
- You have implemented large-scale distributed systems that power financial applications.
- You have interest in Bazel, Golang, Rust, AWS, and infrastructure-as-code.
Benefits and compensation:
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Unlimited paid vacation with mandatory minimums
- Top tier health benefits 100% paid for employees
- Fully remote team
We hire skilled people from a variety of backgrounds because we want our product to be able to adapt to the novel and ever-changing landscape of fintech. If are enthusiastic about crafting useful and beautiful software for the web, we want to hear from you.
Twisp is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic.