Data Science Manager
San Francisco, CA
Clients Platform & Product Development – Science
The Science team at Twitch is central to evidence-driven decision-making. We are hiring quantitative research leaders to be trusted partners to our product and business leaders in making decisions, operationalizing the use of data throughout the company, developing our understanding of how our community + product grow, and identifying ways to use data to develop new capabilities. Data science managers solve problems through broad technical leadership: developing and evangelizing best practices in research and analysis, finding paths to solve highly ambiguous problems, setting a long term research vision, and helping apply research to solve business problems. Data science managers are masters of many tools, but know how to pick the right one for the job.
We are looking for a data science manager to lead research and experimentation across our web and desktop clients. You will be responsible for core analysis of these clients including user acquisition, navigation, and internationalization, as well as scaling up our capabilities for supporting feature analysis and experimentation on these clients. This role will partner with other data scientists to enable high-quality work on these platforms and work with product managers to help guide the strategy for our web applications.
- Keep your eye on the horizon — develop and execute on a roadmap that addresses the major questions your area faces.
- Be an owner, not an advisor — if you don’t believe in the vision of the teams you work with, work hard to change it into something you think will succeed.
- See it through — don’t stop at delivering a report or a model, use your work to influence and create durable change in how leaders at Twitch think about problems.
- Solve problems durably — design processes, tools, and programs that solve entire categories of problems without you or your team’s direct intervention.
- Manage your own process — make sure you and those around you are doing work that is important, opinionated, timely, and impactful.
- Set the research vision in your area.
- Raise the bar for research quality and impact in your area.
- Do your own high quality work on important, ambiguous problems.
- Develop the skills of data staff around you through mentorship and training
- Professional experience as a data science leader, setting the vision for how to most effectively use data in your organization. This could be through technical leadership as an IC with ownership over a research agenda, or developing a team as a personnel manager in a new area at a larger company.
- Evidence you’ve successfully been able to scope, deliver and sell your own research.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills on quantitative topics for a variety of audiences: product managers, designers, engineers, and business leaders.
- Fluent in data fundamentals: SQL, data manipulation using a procedural language, statistics, experimentation, and modeling
- Full benefits, including medical, dental, vision and life
- 401(k) savings plan with a company match
- Catered daily lunch and dinners (and hearty breakfasts three times a week)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Monthly in-office massages
- Corporate gym membership
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible time off policy
- Weekly happy hours
- Top of the line technology to help you build your own workspace
Twitch is the world’s leading video platform and community for gamers, with more than 100 million visitors per month. We connect gamers from around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat with each other. Twitch’s live and on-demand video platform forms the backbone of a distribution network for video game broadcasters including pro players, tournaments, leagues, developers and gaming media organizations. Twitch is leading a revolution in gaming culture, turning gameplay into an immersive video experience. Learn more at http://twitch.tv.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.