Lead Data Engineer - Canada
Remote (Virtual Location) /
Product Development Practice Group /
TXI is looking for a Lead Data Engineer who is passionate about data and users.
Building the right thing is as hard as building it right. Most products fail because they are not solving the real user need. We take a pragmatic approach to innovation by deploying integrated teams to uncover insights from users and build compelling digital solutions that solve the right problems and drive user adoption.
Our clients are increasingly asking us to build solutions that enable users to interact with and ask the right questions of data - to explore, learn, generate insights and then act. For example, we are building a knowledge platform for drug development to allow scientists to rapidly find connections between genes, drugs, pathways, and diseases–thus expediting the discovery of new therapies. For another client, we’re building a platform to provide insights into the financial and climate risks of major companies based on current market and regulatory conditions, thereby helping those companies balance investments.
TXI is well versed in bringing together expertise in user, product, and software engineering. We are now adding a strong perspective on data. As a Lead Data Engineer, you have an opportunity to help establish our approach, bringing both your strategic vision and hands-on expertise. Our clients and your colleagues will look to you for leadership and collaboration in bringing a product-centric mindset to data. You’ll work on cross-functional teams envisioning and building custom solutions like the examples above.
Here’s what we expect from you
- Lead the design and build of data-centric applications and data pipelines
- Provide guidance and hands-on expertise in data engineering, cloud data platforms, and data architecture concepts such as event-driven architecture and data mesh
- Collaborate with data scientists to create scalable implementations of their models
- Contribute thought leadership - with clients, in marketing and sales pursuits, and for capability development of our people
- Understand the client's business, build relationships with clients, and guide strategic decisions to make the client successful
- Work on cross-functional teams with application developers, UX designers, and product managers to create holistic digital solutions
- Communicate professionally and empathetically, solicit and provide feedback, actively offer help, and make sure everyone is aligned
- Take responsibility (even when no one asks)
- Learn from everyone, no matter what their title is
Our Tech Stack
- Data engineering: We currently don’t have standard tooling. We expect to add capabilities such as Kafka, Spark, Airflow, Snowflake, Cloudera, etc.
- Infrastructure: Most of our infrastructure is on AWS and managed by Terraform and chef. We are in the process of migrating to Docker containers in Kubernetes (EKS)
- Back-end: We primarily create applications in Python/Flask, Node, and Ruby on Rails, although we have a small number of applications with other setups such as Elixir.
- Mobile: We support native iOS development in both Objective-C and Swift. These days, however, almost all of our apps are being built in React Native
Who We Are
We’re a curious and humble group of people who are very intentional about personal growth and supporting each other’s careers. We’re always looking for new skills, frameworks, and approaches to deliver the most meaningful product experiences. And we’re constantly pushing ourselves to experiment, explore, and challenge assumptions.
We bring that same passion for learning and growth to our clients: digging into their organizations, reframing their problem statements, and spending time with their users. This ensures that we’re pushing our clients forward while developing and delivering valuable products that matter.
Learn more about TXI (video)
What your days will look like and what success looks like
Setting proper expectations has a big impact on your progressional growth. Here is what you can expect in your first two years as a Lead Data Engineer:
Within 1 month, you will
// Start the company onboarding process, learning more about our company’s culture, values, history, and commitments to our clients
// Gain an understanding of our integrated development process, tooling and frameworks, and project approach
// Shadow client teams to learn from our integrated teams of designers, engineers, and delivery managers
// Learn more about the client experience, from product discovery through delivery and into maintenance
// Go deeper into the employee experience of working at TXI, meeting with key leaders across the company and building relationships with the broader team
Within 3 months, you will
// Contribute to defining how we approach data. You will help create points-of-view for external marketing and internal capability growth
// Assist in sales pursuits by providing expertise to and building trust with prospective clients
// Complete your onboarding process with your onboarding cohort
// Start your first project and begin relationships with developers, designers, and delivery managers on your team as well as across the broader company
// Engage your first client, learning more about their business, unique challenges, and growth opportunities
// Complete your first Sticky Note Game
// Have a manager identified and receive your first quarterly feedback
// Attend your first TXI Quarterly with the rest of the organization
Within 6 months, you will
// See a high-impact project through, ideally from start-to-finish. You will participate in client-facing retrospectives along the way to look for opportunities to evolve and improve
// Complete a review with your manager
// Push your team to do its best work yet. You’ll know the team well by this point and will understand how to encourage them to do work we are all incredibly proud of
// Advance the crafts of data engineering at TXI. You’ll set a good example and share what you’ve learned with others
// Learn new tools and processes to support further growth while developing your own skills
Within 1 year, you will
// Attend a company retreat to know all of the employees outside of the office setting
// Potentially start with a second client or re-engage with your first client on a new product or phase of work while deepening your relationships
After 2 years, you will
// Have the opportunity to become an owner in the business
// Look back proudly on the project and organizational changes you’ve inspired or directed, which create an impact on how we do business
Some reasons why you might like working with us
We have been recognized for both our internal employee experience and for delivering a trusted customer experience. At TXI, we are very intentional about the way we work and support both our team and our clients.
// We focus on product innovation by helping to envision initial new product concepts for our clients. We are core contributors to shaping the work that we do and the problems we're working to solve. In addition to that ideation stage, we get to help them bring these new concepts to market. We help to both build the right thing (design thinking and product discovery) and build the thing right (agile mindset and iterative approach).
// We care about DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging). To deliver the best solutions, we need as many bright and diverse minds in the room as possible, and we need to be able to learn from them once they’re there. That’s why we’re working to create an environment that’s comfortable and inclusive for everyone. Learn more about our DEIB learnings, roadmap, and history.
// We work in a variety of industries, encouraging our team members to explore new domains, solve different kinds of problems, and adopt new technologies. There is no getting bored in our portfolio; you’ll work across health care, edtech, manufacturing, and nonprofits–just to name a few–and build web, mobile, and IOT solutions.
// We work in integrated teams (and avoid staff augmentation). At TXI, we seek to bring all of the good ideas to the table so you learn from the talented teammates you regularly pair with. Product, design, and development regularly collaborate, and we are all listening to the same users.
// We are intentional about supporting each individual's growth. "Challenge and support each other" is a core value of the company and we take that mission seriously. That's why every employee has a personal learning and development budget and a bi-weekly conversation with their manager about their progress–as well as why our CEO created the Sticky Note Game to encourage each person's path at TXI.
// We believe that wellness and a sustainable pace deliver the best outcomes. We commit to our clients for a sustainable 35 hours per week. We don't require regular travel or client on-site time. Our team members have flexible schedules with a hybrid (colocated or remote) working environment and discretionary time off because we respect that everyone has a life outside of work.
// We value transparency and open discussion. You will have a front-line view of the company's performance, risks and issues, finances and budgets. With unique tools and facilitation techniques, we also regularly connect and discuss topics as a company to guide our path forward.
// We build products that matter. We advance the causes and goals of our partners and consistently deliver outcomes for them. See some examples below.
What We Make
For over two decades, we've partnered with clients across industries to research, design, and develop custom web and mobile applications that make a meaningful impact. These impacts include:
// Empowering nonprofits with real-time insight into progress and potential for donor impact through transformative fundraising software
// Designing a digital experience that is driven by evidence-based treatment and therapy plans to support LGBTQ+ youths between the ages of 14 and 17 who face societal and personal biases due to their orientation prior to coming out
// Driving accountability and motivation for patients recovering from spinal surgery through an integrated mobile app and wearable device on the patient’s lower back
// Improving prediction of patient enrollment in global clinical trials for life-saving drugs through the integration of advanced analytics and digital innovation
// Creating a new mobile app to inspire employees to love where they work by delivering meaningful savings and recognition in their workplace, while also amplifying merchant partner reach across of the US
But the work is just part of what makes TXI a rewarding place to be. We support each others’ interests—whether it’s volunteering, organizing meetups, speaking at industry events, or learning new techniques and technologies. If there's something you're passionate about, we want you to pursue it so you can teach it to the rest of us. Our company Lunch & Learns, Sticky Note Game, and regular practice meetings are just some of the ways we create space for sharing, learning, and professional development.
What We Offer
We believe in equitable pay. The salary range for this role is $140k - $195k CAD. In addition to our base compensation, we offer a bi-annual bonus based on company performance and the following benefits, intended to take care of you (and the people you care about):
// Quality health insurance
// Paid parental leave policy (equal for all TXI parents) and discretionary paid time off
// 401k plan, including employer matching
// The option to work fully remote with minimal client or onsite client work
// Company retreats and Quarterly days - a chance to connect with each other in person and outside of the office
// Benefits for continuing education, donation matching, and renewable energy switching
US-friendly hours are strongly preferred. We have a remote-first environment at TXI–with distributed team members in the US, Canada, and Europe who are working from home. We communicate and collaborate effectively in a remote environment with tools like Miro, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. We also prioritize virtual bonding and values such as inclusivity, autonomy and trust while ensuring we take steps to foster positive interactions between employees.
While we encourage asynchronous communication, we often work in pairs or in collaboration sessions, so it is important to have some core hours of overlap with our clients and fellow team members. Regardless of where you are living and working, we will get together in person and as a company several times a year to help build connections and foster relationships within our team.
What to expect next
If we move forward, here's what next steps will look like in order to determine if this would be an amazing fit for you:
1. Initial Interview: First, you’ll chat with a TXI recruiter. After connecting with our recruiting team, you’ll meet the hiring lead over Zoom and cover some TXI basics. Then, the conversation will focus on your past work and how it relates to what you’d be doing at TXI. This stage is a 2-call process and should take no more than 90 min total (unless you want to dig in, chat more and spend some extra time learning about us!).
2. Virtual Pairing Session: Here is where we give you a job preview for the role, as well as the space to show off your skills. You’ll build a simple data pipeline that is intended to allow you to set up your environment, use the tools you're most comfortable with, and choose the languages and frameworks in which you feel most confident. You will then pair with 2 developers on the team to build upon it. This stage should take no more than 90 minutes total and we'll both have a clear sense of how we work together by the end.
3. Final All Team interview: At this stage, we're incredibly excited about your potential with TXI. You’ll get to know more of the team you'd be working with over a 4-hour session. You'll find time with 6 to 8 of your potential integrated team members, where we will learn more about your holistic tech experience, consultative skills, and values. You will also spend time with some members of our leadership team to talk about how TXI can support you on your personal journey.
4. Offer/Decision within 24-48 hours: You’ve made it! You successfully completed the process and spent about 6-7 hours learning about us while sharing more about yourself. Once we get to this stage, we like to move fast. We are committed to debriefing within 24 hour and presenting a final decision within 48 hours (or less!) of your final interview day. If we choose to move forward, our team will collaborate with you to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your career!
We take equality seriously.
TXI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.