Linux System Engineer
155 Clarence St, Sydney, NSW, 2000
Operations – Operations
Who we are
Here at Tyro, our mission is simple we “use technology to empower Australia’s SMEs to create their version of success”. Tyro delivers next generation cloud-based, integrated and mobile payments, deposits and lending banking solutions to small and medium Australian businesses. In November 2015 we raised $100 million to grow and keep building for our 20,000+ customers. We're the first technology company to become a banking institution in Australia and our environment is changing constantly as we grow quickly.
- want to build and maintain a world class infrastructure for a heavily tech focused company?
- want to work for a company that's pushing the boundaries in the payments sector?
- have a keen sense of doing the job right, whilst balancing security requirements?
- challenge the status quo and believe in the power of robust automation?
YES? Then read on as Tyro Payments might be your kind of workplace.
What you'll be doing
- Build and optimise Linux servers for our 24/7 production data centres
- Automate day to day tasks using puppet and other tools
- Work closely with the software engineers to deploy internally developed Java software into production
- Manage maintenance tasks required across our production and corporate Linux environments
- Respond to system alerts, prioritise and resolve incidents to restore service
- Update the configuration of firewalls across our production networks
- Manage and optimise our production database servers
- Pair with colleagues when performing mission critical changes (we're an Agile shop)
- After hours support for our production environment, one week every 8 weeks (or less)
- If called upon, jump in to help others out where required
- Drive business partner maintenance/upgrades to successful and timely completion
- Help us achieve operational excellence
What we're looking for
- You excel as a Linux administrator (but you are not afraid of touching other OS flavours)
- You have experience automating tasks instead of manually managing systems
- You have robust coding skills (ex developer?) with a high level language such as Java, Python, Ruby or Perl
- You have hands-on experience in orchestrating and automating the build of virtual infrastructure environments
- You manage common Internet systems (Apache, DNS, networking gear (Cisco etc.), firewalls) in a breeze
- You can see the bigger picture and have experience with working with colleagues to design and implement (hands on) technical projects to completion
- You have current experience with puppet
- You have 5+ years experience as a Linux system administrator
Advantageous skills to have
- You have good understanding of IT architecture concepts
- You are able to manage VMware or other virtualisation technologies
- You are familiar with security concepts
Am I right for this role?
- You have outstanding all-round communication skills
- You work well within a team and actively engage and contribute your experience in discussions
- You consider security in everything you do
- You are a resilient problem solver with an optimistic outlook
- You are driven to continuously improve the way we work
- You manage your own tasks and don’t need others to tell you what needs doing
- You are willing to learn new stuff on a daily basis and share what you have learned with the team
- You are proud of documenting your excellent work
- You don't hesitate to interact with colleagues to get stuff done. Leave your ego outside
- You understand that not everything is technical and that the processes are just as important
Why work for us
We're not just like every other bank. Tyro has always been a tech company at heart, but providing a fair work/life balance and a culture of learning has always been one of the most important parts of our company's culture.
Tyros are a highly collaborative mix of people. You will work closely with our passionate teams in engineering, product management, customer support, sales and other functions within the business. Everyone is committed to delivering great outcomes for our customers, and you will have the chance to change the face of banking for Australian small and medium businesses.
Our people are at the heart of all that we do and we go to great lengths to ensure a positive and enjoyable employee experience for all. We offer some amazing employee benefits such as employee share options, regular training for professional and personal development, 16 weeks paid primary carers leave, 3 weeks paid secondary carers leave, team based volunteer days, 17.5% leave loading and not to mention our multiple craft beer kegs, wide selection of wine, ping pong table and video games all available to be enjoyed.
Privacy and Submitting your Application