Director of Engineering
UJUU – Engineering /
Founded in 2020, UJUU is an eCommerce platform and brand development studio. We endeavor to connect a global audience of underserved and underrepresented consumers to a diverse community and collection of carefully curated and vetted emerging designers and brands. We achieve this by offering elegant brand development services and eCommerce solutions across our family of brands.
Our vision is to create a best-in-class and forward-thinking shopping experience for our global community of black and brown across the African diaspora. We're just getting started, but we're already off to a promising start with the launch of our two initial brands: souk + Sepia and simisienna. With each subsequent brand offering we strive to better serve and meet the unfulfilled needs of our expansive audience.
To achieve these extensive goals, we're looking to add talented and motivated individuals to our growing team. If this appeals to you please apply and let us know!
- As our Director of Engineering you will be responsible for architecting and overseeing our overall technology stack and ecosystem across brands and properties.
- Your primarily objectives will orient around ensuring standardization and synchronicity across development and engineering initiatives, in addition to prioritizing consumer experience, safety, and security across all platforms.
What You'll Do
- Prepare and manage the engineering department’s budget
- Manage engineering teams and projects end-to-end
- Manage software development projects by setting requirements, goals and timelines
- Hire, manage and coordinate internal teams, including security, IT and developers
- Design, build, and manage data infrastructures across respective brands and properties
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create and manage technical documentation outlining current systems and technology implemented
- Implement new systems and remain abreast of emerging technologies and trends
- Translate needs across teams and coordinate with external stakeholders for new integrations and tools
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and equipment
- Design strategies for future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives and resources
- Hire engineers and coordinate their training
- Implement innovative technologies
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems to suggest improvements
- Ensure compliance with security regulations
Qualities You Possess
- 5+ years experience building and architecting consumer experiences across Shopify (Shopify Plus), Magento, and other eCommerce based web technologies
- Prior experience as a director of engineering or in a similar senior-level position at an engineering department
- Experience building responsive interfaces and debugging for variety of devices and browsers
- Good understanding of full-stack web application - authentication, consuming and interacting with external API, sending requests from the front-end and responding to requests in the back-end
- Ability to work with large datasets, exporting data from other systems and importing data into Shopify
- Experience with Git version control and continuous integration
- Knowledge of tools like ShipStation, Mailchimp and other platforms that support the eCommerce user experience
- Basic knowledge of GraphQL
- Having a Shopify partner account and ability to demonstrate your work in Shopify
- Strong eye for aesthetics and attention to detail
- Energetic, mature, empathetic and positive person who is self-driven and can work independently
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques