General Manager, Argentina
Ultragenyx – Commercial
Why Join Us?
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
We are headquartered in Novato, CA, 25 miles north of San Francisco, and we also have an office in Brisbane, CA, 10 miles south of San Francisco, and Basel, Switzerland.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an emerging biotechnology company focused on developing therapeutics for patients with rare diseases. Ultragenyx is looking for an experienced Biostatistician who is proactive and a self-starter with advanced technical and communication skills.
The candidate coordinates the effort across therapeutic areas to identify, develop and implement departmental standards, applications, processes and training. The candidate provides timely support to the project teams on all statistical matters according to the project strategies and is responsible for addressing all administrative functions required for project management and milestones, identifying and communicating changes in project requirements that may affect key deliverables at the project level.
- Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is seeking to appoint a highly experienced commercial leader with a strong background in general management, marketing and sales to this highly visible and influential role which will capitalize on the expected commercial potential of its product pipeline. This is an excellent opportunity to build a winning organisation from scratch which will be part of a successful and significant international company. The Country Manager will be accountable for driving sales and profitability for the business. A key aspect related to this will be the potential launch of exciting new rare disease care treatments from the company’s own pipeline, The new incumbent will have overall responsibility for the P&L. With responsibility for the Argentinean business, the Country Manager will also take part actively in the Ultragenyx Country Manager’s forum and will therefore work closely with the other Country Managers of major markets.
- The success of the Country Manager will be shaped through building and leading fast-growing, profitable sales and marketing activities. He/she will be expected to drive the following key areas through his/her appropriate direct reports:
- Full business development and Argentina P&L responsibility
- Development of short and long term strategic plans for the affiliate’s development
- Build-up, development and management of the team aligned with the business requirements
- ·Development of a market entry plan for new and future products (regulatory, patients advocacy, KOL management, pricing & reimbursement, distribution)
- Successfully launch the company’s products on the local market in coordination with the company’s global plans
- Attract, build, lead and develop a team of (in-house) Sales and Medical Sales Liaison Specialists (in coordination with Medical Affairs)
- Lead the reimbursement negotiations with local authorities and liaising with health authorities, patient advocacy groups and payers as required
- Development of internal pharmaco-economics and sales force certification expertise
- Implement and launch a CRM program in line with corporate CRM systems and policies
- Raising the awareness and knowledge amongst all healthcare professionals of the relevant therapeutic areas
- Development and maintenance of excellent relationships with key opinion leaders through close collaboration with the Medical Affairs and the Sales and Marketing teams
- Raising the awareness and knowledge amongst all healthcare professionals and the relevant specialists in the rare disease therapeutic areas
- Management of activities relating to the distribution and dispensing of products
- Maintenance of up to date skills and knowledge regarding scientific medical and sales and marketing best practice
- Ensure appropriate management / leadership at national and international conferences and symposia in collaboration with the Sales and Marketing and Medical Affairs teams
- Regarding organizational development, the Country Manager will be responsible for the recruitment, leadership, management and on-going development of his/her leadership team as well as, through this, the growth and development of the organisation more broadly.
- The position reports to The SVP, Head of Latin America Operations. The Country Manager will play a key role in establishing the culture of the Argentina Operations as the global footprint is being established. Shared resources will be provided by the Global Headquarters in Novato or outsourced (Regulatory Affairs, Quality, Finance, HR, Supply Chain and Distribution, Marketing, Market Access, Pricing, Legal, Medical affairs etc.) to/for the country operations.
Minimum Basic Qualifications:
• Academic degree in natural science and/or business economics
• Minimum of 15 years of industry experience in a leading international life science company within the biopharmaceutical/pharmaceutical industry in Commercial with at least 5 years leadership of business unit or country operations
• Strong understanding of Argentina pricing, regulatory processes and reimbursement procedures
• Experience in communicating and building relations with authorities, patient advocacy groups, health care sector professionals including specialist care and sales, as well as KOL management
• Proven track record of managing P&L
• Proven managerial skills and the ability to successfully work across multiple business functions including marketing, medical affairs, product development, manufacturing, finance, customer service and sales
• Fluency in Portuguese, proficiency in English
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Experience from a role in sales and marketing of Rx medicines and confident with modern disciplines in sales and marketing of Rx medicines to the specialty/hospital market (i.e., market analyses, sales effectiveness, key account management and market access)
• Preferably thorough knowledge within the therapeutic areas of rare diseases.
• Experience with high-priced pharmaceutical products, preferably in Hospital market and thorough experience and confidence when positioning rare disease products with selected KOLs and prescribing physicians and hospitals
• Demonstrated commercial excellence and proven track record of success and growth
• Significant experience in attracting, developing and retaining top talent resulting in high-performing teams
Excellent influencing and negotiating skills at all levels which results in creating alignment horizontally and vertically by making a case for one’s approach that resonates and brings people along by addressing not only facts but emotion:
• Focused on delivering excellent results and improving the performance of oneself and of Ultragenyx
• Recognizes opportunities and/or issues and applies analytical and creative thinking to maximize performance which includes looking for underlying causes of events and/or consequences of actions as well as seeing the complexity of issues in order to solve them
• Demonstrates respect for others (both internal and external to Ultragenyx) by seeking to understand how they think about issues and perceive problems/opportunities
• Build coalitions across cultures and geographic boundaries
• Provide clarity, support and tools needed to excel teams performance
• Leveraging a deep understanding of oneself on both a cognitive and an emotional level to increase one’s effectiveness. It is about knowing one’s strengths and weaknesses, asking for feedback and being resilient
• Ability to consistently work with abstract ideas/situations to create and implement strategic plans in a “green field” environment, can prioritize and execute independently, is a self-starter
• Position is based in Buenos Aires. Willingness to travel frequently within Argentina, to Miami (future Lat Am regional office) to California (global offices) and, when appropriate, to other international locations
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.