National Accounts Director, Market Access
Ultragenyx – Commercial
Why Join Us?
Ultragenyx is genetic rare disease Biotechnology Company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Our North American Headquarters are located in Brisbane, CA.
The National Accounts Director will be responsible for being involved with developing the strategy, analysis, value proposition in the US to ensure favorable reimbursement, access, and coverage guidelines consistent to our FDA labels with national and regional commercial and government payers. The ability to work in a dynamic, changing marketplace to meet corporate and patient needs is essential. This position will be primarily responsible for securing product reimbursement with the large national health plans in US. The incumbent will be an expert in commercial payers and government payer including Medicaid, Medicare VA/DoD. Responsibilities also include involvement in developing and implementing the strategy that will allow patients to get access to treatments. The individual will work closely with the field commercial team to jointly call on regional payers.
This individual must be able to develop product strategies to secure and maintain optimal access for pipeline products for assigned accounts. Responsibilities include developing market access and reimbursement strategies, as well as determining how best to communicate the product’s unique attributes to market access decision makers and influencers, during pre-launch, launch and post-launch phases of a product’s life-cycle. This includes presenting clinical and economic value messages that resonate with payers, health care providers, and other decision-makers, as well as coordinating the design, development of access programs and payer submissions, and input into pricing research and decision-making. The responsibilities of this position will grow as Ultragenyx adds additional products to its portfolio.
- Gain positive coverage for Ultragenyx products with targeted/assigned accounts
- Present compelling value proposition and health economics data on Ultragenyx products to managed care customers in securing positive coverage
- Develop and implement customer specific strategic plans that align to corporate strategies and growth
- Effectively negotiate / manage all contract negotiations with managed care customers securing access to Ultragenyx products at desired levels of performance
- Build new and expand existing account relationships (c-suite, clinical management, pharmacy management, medical management, case management)
- Present Ultragenyx products at the major managed care conferences and trade shows
- Proactive in identifying issues and challenges with accounts
- Provide input to North America Commercial and Medical Affairs organizations to develop payer value propositions for Ultragenyx therapies
- Work collaboratively with North America functions including the commercial field team in helping design tools and resources for field based commercial field team meeting with Pharmacy and Medical Directors
- Understand reimbursement trends and policies and modify strategy to meet customer needs
- Develop and implement pull-through strategies as needed
- Assist field commercial team in presenting data to regional payers
- Manage relationships with coverage and payment policy decision makers across Commercial and Government payers
- Execute comprehensive payer specific reimbursement strategic plans and resolve payer access and reimbursement issues with the commercial field team
- Execute reimbursement activities at the provider level in support of all payer reimbursement strategies
- Collaborate with commercial field team, medical affairs, patient services to resolve reimbursement issues that may be barriers to drug access
- Assist in field training with support of leadership
- Assist in all managed care related marketing efforts including message development, advisory board, value proposition materials, etc.
- Continuously pursue and access opportunities to expand business with existing customers and potential new customers in order to drive growth for the organization
- Minimum of six years of experience in US payer reimbursement and/or coverage policy and ten years of experience in the pharma / biotech industry
- Minimum B.S. degree preferably in one of the following areas: Business Administration, Communications, Healthcare Management, Marketing, Nursing, or Pharmacy
- MBA/MHA or other graduate level program preferred
- Preferably experience in the rare disease and orphan product environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of US healthcare reimbursement system in both commercial and government payers
- Understanding of billing and coding with experience in the implementation of pricing strategy
- Knowledge of specialty pharmacy and wholesalers
- ·Ability to successfully work both within a team and independently
- Experience in biologic high value products and specialty care drugs required
- Product launch experience in market access required
- Experience working across an alliance partnership strongly preferred
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence and lobby internal and affiliate/alliance decision-makers
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent clinical, financial, and analytical skills and acumen
- Travel: May be as high as 50+%
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.