Regional Director, Commercial Field Leader - Southeast
Ultragenyx – Commercial
Why Join Us?
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
For the patients we seek to treat, we recognize that their lives and well-being are dependent upon our efforts to develop new therapies. For this reason we are passionate about developing these therapies with the utmost urgency and care while ensuring patient access is optimized at the time of approval for these innovative late-stage products.
Now is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a fast growing rare disease global biopharmaceutical company in a leadership role.
We are headquartered in Novato, CA, 25 miles north of San Francisco. The North American Commercial Office is based in the heart of the innovative Biotech hub in Brisbane CA, conveniently located within 5 miles of the SFO Airport.
Ultragenyx is currently building a US Commercial Field Team in anticipation of the launch of our clinical stage therapies. The Commercial Field Team will represent Ultragenyx in the Rare Disease Community. We are actively searching for Regional Field Leaders who will build a newly created Regional Field Team, establishing strategy, performance drivers, and the resources to support the new Team. These top performing Executives will possess broad experience in business ownership, leadership, analytics, and the implementation of innovative solutions. The priorities within each of the four Regions will vary based upon the key business drivers within that geography. The Regional Field Leader will need to formulate an effective go-to-market plan, including establishing short and long term success and measurement criteria. It will be the responsibility of the Regional Field Leader to provide direction related to key priorities both within territories and create and implement a Regional business plan that is organizationally approved.
The Commercial Field Team we are seeking to build is a team of individuals who bring a breadth of experience, are skilled at running a business and understand the key drivers for business optimization and success. We are not seeking individuals whose general experience is mainly in sales. We are seeking individuals who come with demonstrated success of identifying and harnessing business opportunities for efficient growth across diverse landscapes. This role is a rare and unique opportunity for the individual who excels in a patient focused environment with a keen business acumen, innovative approaches and unprecedented delivery of results in a service model environment.
The successful Regional Field Leaders will have leadership experience, a proven track record of success, consistently achieving and exceeding performance goals. The ideal candidates are detail orientated, self-structured in their approach to their work, with the ability to manage relationships at all levels. They will have proven presentation and partner management skills, and thrive in a rapid paced and dynamic environment within a culture that relies on teamwork.
Key skills sought include demonstrated success in developing strategies and structuring relationships to drive strategic initiatives and experience in obtaining access to therapies for patients, through Field Team deployment.
Key areas of focus include optimizing:
educating and expanding the healthcare provider community
compliance to treatment
It will be critical to set aggressive growth objectives while aligning with the Marketing strategy and priorities. They will operate in the best interest of patients and providers, ensuring a ‘patient-first’ focus. They will possess the highest ethical and moral standards and demonstrate a deep respect for patients, providers and payers.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Build a diverse Regional Team of talented Commercial Field professionals through targeted recruitment, selection and assessment strategies and execution
- Lead and coach a Regional Team to set, evaluate and exceed performance expectations
- Ensure that team is equipped to address field market requests, customer service issues and challenges, with a sense of urgency and accountability
- Advance care within the Rare Disease Community
- Understand healthcare trends in the Rare Disease Community and create pull through tactics and solutions to mitigate market access challenges
- Employ strong organizational and analytical skills to optimize growth, including the ability to analyze complex data to develop strategic and actionable business plans
- Lead and maintain a culture of compliance, integrity and transparency
- Ability to analyze complex data to develop strategic and actionable business plans
- Drive change through influence and innovation
- Minimum of Bachelor Degree; Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leadership and driving growth businesses
- Masters in Science or Business highly preferable, MBA Preferred
- Seeking a blend of science and business skills and experience
- Motivational and inspirational leader who can affect change and implement new business processes
- Experience leading teams
- Business leader in a growth sector
- Scientific acumen
- Exceptional level of organization skills
- Excellent presentation and management skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Extraordinary commitment to customer experience and standards of excellence
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and drive results
- Strong data analytical and financial modeling ability
- Ability to manage by influence and work effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrix organization
- Strong self-starter who is able to work independently to develop new business opportunities
- Demonstrated success in integrating innovative solutions effectively into new business model
- Drive change through an organization
- Drive change through innovation
- Excellent skills in the development of business plans, utilization of resources and budget to optimize Region
- Ability to research and problem solve complex issues impacting HCP’s while mitigating barriers to patients access to care
- Approximately 40-60% travel is required; overnight travel is required as needed
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.