Senior Medical Science Liaison - Metabolic Bone (Midwest and Rocky Mountain)
Novato, CA (REMOTE)
Ultragenyx – Medical Services
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to developing treatments for rare and ultra-rare diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best, because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
ultrainnovative – Tackle rare and dynamic challenges
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a member of a field-based team of scientists who function as an extension of the Medical Affairs organization. MSLs are responsible for developing and enhancing professional relationships with medical thought leaders involved in various phases of product development as well as key medical organizations including treatment centers of excellence and established societies and associations. MSLs provide medical information through scientific exchange in a fair-balanced manner and provide clinical/scientific support to the company. This is a field-based position and requires professionals with established personal and scientific credibility to interact with thought leaders and centers of excellence. This MSL position will support company’s products in development and brands as their primary responsibility. The ideal candidate will possess an understanding of rare diseases development.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Identify Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), and establish and maintain scientific relationships with KOLs; connecting to KOLs in academic and community centers
- Act as primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator initiated research
- Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with regional and national plans
- Provide clinical presentations and information in response to unsolicited questions (as appropriate) in academic, community, and healthcare provider settings
- Collaborate with the Clinical Operations organization to enhance patient enrolment in company-sponsored clinical trials by identifying appropriate clinical trial sites and interacting with investigators in ongoing studies
- Provide scientific and medical information updates
- Provide scientific support at medical congresses
- Provide timely feedback/information on emerging clinical/scientific teams and opportunities to internal stakeholders
- Provide scientific support for appropriate educational initiatives
- Ensure all activities are compliant with company policies and SOPs
Technical Requirements & Skills:
- Advanced degree in clinical specialty (MD, PhD, PharmD) and 5 years of MSL experience strongly preferred. If non-doctoral degree, at least 5 years of previous MSL and relevant disease state clinial and/or genetic experience preferred
- Rare disease experience preferred, particularly in metabolic bone and/or metabolic genetic diseases
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills required
- Demonstrated experience effectively presenting clinical/scientific information required
- Expert understanding of the health care delivery system and its impact on patient care and regional medical care
- Values based collaborator – respectful, accountable and collaborative
- Ability to relate and work with a wide range of people to achieve results
- Ability to organize and prioritize own work schedule
- Ability to make decisions which have a significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations, and services
- Ability to create materials such as reports, presentations for inside and outside the organization, and present/speak to groups
- Time and territory management skills required
- Approximately 50-60% travel is required; overnight travel is required as needed
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We understand that diversity of thought, culture and background will help us do the best for our patients. We prohibit unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.