Director, Global Talent Acquisition
Ultragenyx – Human Resources
Why Join Us?
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
We are located in Novato, CA, 25 miles north of San Francisco and in Brisbane, CA, 10 miles south of San Francisco. This position can be located in either location.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Human Resources department at a fast paced, high growth biotechnology company. Over the next few years, Ultragenyx plans to continue grow in the US as well as internationally. The individual will be a self-starter with the ability to build strong rapport across all functions. The Director, Global Talent Acquisition will lead and manage the development and execution of Ultragenyx’s recruiting strategy that is aligned with the company’s current and future business objectives and growth strategies, as well as reinforces Ultragenyx’s corporate culture. Working in partnership with key business leaders and functions throughout the organization, the individual will lead in the development, execution and anchoring of innovative sourcing and recruiting programs, that will enable Ultragenyx to attract and retain top talent.
The Director, Global Talent Acquisition is responsible for the full cycle of talent acquisition including recruitment, selection, social media, working with branding, managing career website, hiring manager training, recruiting best practices, partnering with HR systems and HRBP on any issues related to Talent Acquisition. This HR leader is also responsible for all recruiting metrics and reporting analytics and must be able to relate to people at all levels of the organization and move in and out of strategic and tactical roles. This role will report to the Senior Director, Head of Human Resources Business Partnering & Global Talent Acquisition.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Partner with the business leaders and HR to establish and implement a vision for Ultragenyx’s recruiting and retention strategy that drives the successful sourcing, recruitment and retention of targeted talent internally and externally
- Direct and manage full cycle recruiting efforts including branding, selection, interviewing, social media, hiring manager training, recruiting best practices, metrics and reporting analytics
- Talent & Capability Forecasting: Inform workforce planning process by providing accurate data on internal talent supply and demand
- Ensure the recruiting function is appropriately staffed, structured and supported to meet the evolving needs of our business; taking into consideration region, service line support and talent supply/market patterns
- Direct and lead a recruiting team to leverage a portion of the recruiting workflow across service lines, as appropriate, including the implementation of a viable method for interviewing/on boarding candidates
- Build relevant metrics to steer the activity, and provide measurements and reporting to Leadership team and key stakeholders as needed
- Partner with Marketing and HR to develop and drive a strong employment brand that positions Ultragenyx as an employer of choice amongst within the industry, professional communities and passive applicants, including the optimization of our social media approach
- Ensure consistent messaging across all employment marketing, job postings, and communications, and leverages social media and innovative channels to drive messaging and attraction to Ultragenyx’s employment brand
- Manage the relationship with hiring managers, current recruitment/advertising agency. Ensure advertising and job-posting approach reflects Ultragenyx’s employment culture while meeting the strategic needs of the business as well as recruiters in the field
- Manage applicant tracking system to ensure effective recruiting workflow while also meeting necessary employment requirements
- Act as an advisor to recruiting team members, providing functional expertise, market-related intelligence, coaching, training, direction and support
- Develop an ongoing training approach to ensure recruiters and hiring line mangers have the knowledge and tools they need to be successful. Training should include compliance with HR/Legal policies, effective sourcing methods and technologies.
- Develop and improve Ultragenyx’s workforce mobility program and process
- Partner with immigration attorney on visa applications
- Lead recruiting team in creating strategic partnerships with professional organizations, outplacement entities, professional associations, career coaches, and other appropriate organizations
- BA/BS degree required, and a minimum 10 years of relevant experience in the HR and Recruiting
- Biotech or other Life Science experience required; specifically with high growth
- Thorough understanding of all facets of recruiting and staffing with an emphasis on developing processes that ensure the recruitment of superior performing talent
- Working knowledge of HR employment laws, include Federal Labor Standards Act, immigration law
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact, exercise discretion, judgment and diplomacy when dealing with internal and external customers and executive management
- Proven relationship building, executive interface and presentation/facilitations skills
- Skilled in identifying, understanding, and adapting outstanding practices and processes from other organizations to help improve performance
- Has relentlessly high standards and is results oriented
- Exhibits excellent judgment and deals well in ambiguous circumstances
- Business acumen and strategic thinking, yet able to execute tactically
- Detail oriented, well organized with strong time and project management skills
- Team player with positive attitude with solid leadership skills who can easily handle shifting priorities, multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment
- Ability to take initiative, be accountable for individual and team results, and motivate self and others to set and achieve very high performance standards
- Must be able to handle employee-sensitive and business information with utmost confidentiality
- Must be able to work under pressure, manage time, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to recognize opportunity for improvement and lead change
- Strong business acumen to translate business needs and strategies into defined talent pipelines
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.