Director, Market Access-Health Economics and Payer Marketing
Ultragenyx – Commercial
Ultragenyx is genetic rare disease Biotechnology Company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule products with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
This position will be located at our North American Commercial Headquarters in Brisbane, CA. This is a office based position.
- The Market Access Director will be responsible for assisting in the development of the strategy, analysis, clinical and economic value proposition in the US to ensure favorable reimbursement, access, and coverage guidelines consistent to our FDA labels with national and regional commercial and government payers. This position will be primarily responsible for marketing to US payers and developing clinical and economic value propositions to gain positive coverage policies with US payers. The incumbent will be an expert in understanding needs of commercial and government payers including Medicaid, Medicare, and VA/DoD. Responsibilities include creating value messages that resonate with US payers, conducting health economics research and analysis, building customer-facing models such as the budget impact, cost offset, cost effectiveness models, publish results, interface with clinical, medical affairs, and other business partners including marketing, field commercial team, and market access Team.
- The incumbent is accountable for the planning, design, implementation and completion of innovative evidence based research programs that are consistent with the product strategies. The programs developed will provide appropriate evidence and/or tools to be used for internal decision making and for external audiences at product launch and over the product life cycle. This individual will develop clinical and economic value messages that resonate with payers, health care providers, and other decision-makers, train the field team on these messages, develop AMCP dossier, and provide input into pricing research and decision-making. The responsibilities of this position will grow as Ultragenyx adds additional products to its portfolio.
- Develop reimbursement dossiers and reimbursement/formulary documents by identifying and effectively using internal and external data sources and literature references
- Collaborate with external companies in preparing evidence that satisfies payer requirements
- Generate communication/marketing materials and publications for use with payers and other decision makers
- Proactively bring payer analytic and evidence expertise and insight to the cross-functional teams to inform key processes and decision points.
- Prepare and lead proposal requests for outsourced health economics projects and manage the vendor selection process.
- Deliver assigned projects to time, budget, and quality, including the management of vendors as required
- Develop compelling value proposition and health economics data on Ultragenyx products to managed care customers in securing positive coverage
- Present Ultragenyx products at the major managed care conferences and trade shows
- Provide input to North America Commercial and Medical Affairs organizations to develop payer value propositions for Ultragenyx therapies
- Work collaboratively with North America functions including the commercial field team in helping design tools and resources for field based commercial field team meeting with Pharmacy and Medical Directors
- Understand reimbursement trends and policies and modify strategy to meet customer needs
- Develop and implement pull-through strategies as needed
- Assist field commercial team in developing messages and data to regional payers
- Collaborate with commercial field team, medical affairs, patient services to resolve reimbursement issues that may be barriers to drug access
- Assist in field training on developing and delivering payer value messages
- Develop all payer marketing material as needed to raise payer awareness of products
- Develop publications and materials, including presentations, manuscripts, and advise on promotional pieces to communicate/disseminate health economics data to US payers
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD, MD, MPH, or PharmD) in a scientific discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of combined experience in health economics, outcomes research, or direct market access field
- Documented training in Health Economics and experience in Market Access is desired
- Preferably experience in the rare disease and orphan product environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of US healthcare reimbursement system in both commercial and government payers
- Knowledge of specialty pharmacy and wholesalers is desired
- Ability to successfully work both within a team and independently
- Experience working across an alliance partnership strongly preferred
- Strong leadership skills and ability to influence and lobby internal and affiliate/alliance decision-makers
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent clinical, financial, and analytical skills and acumen
- Well-versed in highly technical and scientific languages in order to communicate effectively with health care professionals, researchers, payers, and other external and internal stakeholders.
- Travel: ~20%
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.