Associate Director, State Government Affairs
Novato, CA (REMOTE)
Ultragenyx – Legal
Why Join Us?
Be a hero for our rare disease patients
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to developing treatments for rare and ultra-rare diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of small molecule, monoclonal antibody, mRNA and gene therapy candidates with the potential to address debilitating genetic diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Developing new treatments for rare genetic diseases is challenging work. It takes courage, talent, and dedication to look past the easy answers and uncover new solutions that can make a meaningful impact. At Ultragenyx we push each other to perform at our very best because we never lose sight of our mission – to make a difference in our patients’ lives.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
ultrainnovative – Tackle rare and dynamic challenges
The Associate Director of State Government Affairs will serve as the company’s external affairs representative in key states across the U.S. and will focus on state government, legislative and regulatory issues impacting Ultragenyx. This position will be responsible for educating and engaging with state government officials, trade associations, coalitions and patient advocacy groups to align rare disease healthcare policy, advocacy and legislative priorities in our key states. The Associate Director position requires approximately 30% travel, including travel to Ultragenyx’s headquarters in Novato, CA.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Lead company efforts in top 10 states as corporate and government affairs representative, build and maintain key relationships with legislators and public policy makers, monitor legislation and participate in coalitions to educate and engage stakeholders on behalf of the company, its programs and its patients.
- Represents the company and its executives with all external state stakeholders including the Governor’s office, Senate and House leadership, key state agencies, quasi-governmental organizations, and other policy groups to advance state policies that support the company’s business objectives.
- Develop company policy positions into timely and effective advocacy strategies that shape policy outcomes and advance Ultragenyx’s legislative and policy interests in the states.
- Manage and lead several rare disease company and advocacy coalitions across states on key issue initiatives incl. newborn screening and gene therapy education briefings.
- Represent company in state trade associations as key contact and Government Affairs Committee member.
- Engage and inform state government legislation and regulations affecting Ultragenyx’s business interests in order to support our commercial reimbursement efforts.
- Manage consulting firm or services in key states (if any).
- Conduct all activities in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations and company policies.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, interacting with both external and internal audiences within the Biotechnology and/or Pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated networking, consensus building, and influencing skills
- Critical thinking skills, relationship management, conflict resolution and ability to work collaboratively
- Knowledge of state government legislative, regulatory and Medicaid reimbursement processes
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 8+ years government affairs experience
- 3+ years in the biotech industry
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We understand that diversity of thought, culture and background will help us do the best for our patients. We prohibit unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: email@example.com.