Director of Operations Nigeria
Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring financial services are affordable, efficient, and widely available.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
As Director of Operations, you will play an instrumental part in building our global Operations team. This role is a senior role at the company you will be engaged in strategic decisions on all parts of the business. We see this as an incredibly important hire and a core team member to add to Umba at this high growth stage. We want someone who can scale along with the business.
- Identify, prioritize and solve ongoing business requirements for a rapidly growing Digital Bank
- Run operations, customer experience, compliance & recruiting teams
- Support the business on go-to-market strategy for early concepts. From planning to implementation to delivery
- Monitor our external environment (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) and derive implications for the business
- Drive alignment on priorities across key business functions through our strategic planning.
- Establish relationships with senior stakeholders within the banking and regulatory sectors to ensure smooth implementation of the technical roadmap
- Lead all partnerships from opportunity identification through to design, negotiation, and
- Develop and manage relationships with potential strategic partners across eCommerce, telecoms, payments, and banking spheres.
- Support the leadership team in the development of key relationships with national regulators
- 5+ years experience in FinTech (lending experience desirable)
- Experience scaling a global/cross-border company from ~20-100+
- Strong focus on the Nigerian market, with Kenya and Ghana experience desirable
- Customer success experience
- Willingness to travel to our offices in Kenya and San Francisco
- Detail orientated
- Passionate about Umba’s mission of helping others
- Valid work authorization for Nigeria
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.