San Francisco /
Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring financial services are affordable, efficient, and widely available.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
We are looking for a senior architect/DevOps lead responsible for DevOps automation and architectural design with a focus on end-to-end automation, system performance, scalability, robustness, security, and API design governance. Your primary focus will be working with the CTO, engineering, data science, and product lead across the organization, defining and developing our automation, deployment, scaling, and monitoring pipelines as well as defining architectural and security principles, working with the organization to deploy those pipelines and principles into production and getting your hands dirty solving system bottlenecks. We work in a fast-moving environment, and we build our team to be autonomous, able to deploy their code and solve their problems. The critical measure of success is the exceptional user experience on our mobile apps. We have split our infrastructure into microservices deployed on AWS. Hands-on experience with DevOps concepts and AWS platforms services such as infrastructure-as-code, containerization, and continuous delivery is required, and we always encourage cross-functional engineers to get out of their comfort zones and into new technologies & disciplines. You will be working with a small but highly technical team. We have 250k users and work to ensure continuous uptime and constant improvement. We train and deploy new machine learning models regularly and subscribe to data-driven decision-making. You will not be just an implementer but a valued opinion at the table.
● Define, develop, deliver DevOps automation, scaling, monitoring, and runtime pipelines
● Define overall architectural principles and see them into production
● Define security practices and design appropriate for regulated financial applications
● Analyze and resolve system bottlenecks, design for massive scale
● Design and create services and system architecture for your projects, and contribute to existing infrastructure
● Help improve our code quality through writing unit tests, automation, and performing code reviews
● Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms, and products
● Dive into complex problems and successfully deliver results on schedule Skills and Qualifications
Skills and Qualification
● At least ten years of recent hands-on architectural, coding, and software design for mission-critical systems are required
● Experience developing and deploying on AWS infrastructure
● Background in fintech or other regulated industries is a desirable
● Degree in engineering preferred, but significant work that can be shared will be accepted
● Experience with Python and the willingness to learn new technologies (experience with other object-oriented languages are okay too, but our backend code is mainly written in Python, so you should be able to get up-to-speed on at least one of them quickly)
● Cloud-native development principles including micro-services, containerization, orchestration, RESTful API design, and governance.
● Experience with Linux/Unix and scripting languages
● Java/Android/iOS development experience a bonus
● A track record of projects completed on time – you are a flawless executor, not a procrastinator
● Solid OOP and software design knowledge – you should know how to create software that’s extensible, reusable, and meets desired architectural objectives
● You’re so much fun to work with that if you were working on the weekend, we’d want to join you.
Valid work authorization for the United States Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or particular need that requires accommodation, please let us know.