Country Manager Egypt
Our mission is to make banking free across Africa, empowering our customers to control their financial lives by ensuring financial services are affordable, efficient, and widely available.
We are pursuing a once-in-a-generation opportunity to revolutionize financial services in Africa-lowering the cost and increasing the reach of banking while serving the next billion mobile consumers that are coming online
We are passionately customer-centric, delivering mobile banking with an exceptional user experience. We leverage advanced machine learning to allow us to create intelligent, affordable financial products for emerging markets where credit is not widely available
Headquartered in San Francisco, and growing rapidly in Mexico, Nigeria, and Kenya-Umba launched in the Nigerian market and is expanding quickly into additional markets. We offer a broad range of digital banking products to our customers through Android and iOS apps and have a culture of exceeding customer expectations which have generated explosive growth.
We are looking for exceptional talent but also for people that share our vision, drive, and sense of mission. Come join us to build the biggest neo-bank in Africa.
Umba is looking for an entrepreneurial candidate to lead the Kenya business and expand Umba’s product to reach within Kenya. This role will be responsible for managing the overall health in-country operations, with a key focus on leading all in-country marketing, partnerships, and customer success operations.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with growth-stage business to identify businesschallenges, propose data-driven solutions and drive execution, as well as a natural ability to leadrelationship management for in-country partnerships.
- Responsibility 1 – Partnership Management
- Develop and manage relationships with potential strategic partners across eCommerce, telecoms, payments, and banking spheres.
- Lead all partnerships from opportunity identification through to design, negotiation, and
- implementation to develop win-win partnerships that scale Umba’s service offering to new customer segments.
- Support the leadership team in the development of key relationships within national regulators
- Responsibility 2 – Leadership
- Develop and implement strategies for the sustainable attainment of ambitious monthly, quarterly, and annual KPIs across Kenya.
- Work with leadership to identify, build, and manage an in-country team to support business growth.
- Work with product teams to define product roadmap through careful analysis of customer feedback, the competitive landscape, and market trends.
- Ensure the business is well-positioned to provide feedback on and implement regulatory proposals that impact the company from across the government.
- Own country P&L.
- Responsibility 3 – Expansion
- Develop analytical frameworks to assess new opportunities for both geographic and product expansion
- Develop and implement new market launch plans, including supporting regulatory, commercial/ vendor agreements and hiring efforts
- Support with mapping out new product opportunities and successful implementation of pilots
- Establish relationships with senior stakeholders within banking and regulatory sectors to ensure smooth implementation of technical roadmap
- Responsibility 4 –Customer Success
- Manage support team operations to ensure quick resolution of customer complaints and feedback
- Create new customer feedback loops to ensure high Net Promoter Scores and enforce a culture of client centricity across all verticals of the business.
- Responsibility 5 – Marketing
- Support to the marketing team in the targeting of Through the Line marketing campaigns to enhance customer acquisition;
- Use market knowledge to provide feedback on product funnel and customer journeys for customers acquired through digital marketing to achieve low-touch customer growth whilst maintaining portfolio quality.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of banking, start-up, tech, or business leadership experience in high-performing, direct-to-consumer businesses.
- Experience building relationships with senior stakeholders within the banking and regulatory arenas
- A strong data-driven approach to funnel conversion metrics and P&L management with strong attention to detail.
- Experience working across Credit, Operations, Growth, and Leadership teams to strategic priorities.
- Experience in hiring and managing a team.
- Master’s Degree in or related Business degree preferred
- Deep network of contacts amongst banking, mobile money, payments, and eCommerce companies
- Highly proficient in Excel
- Familiarity with tech-enabled credit or payments products and the general fintech landscape
- Experience working with remote teams
- Advanced English required
Nice to have:
- Market pay rate and will be negotiated in the interview process
- Stock Options
Valid work authorization for Ghana
Umba is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.