Product Manager - Senior - Houston, TX
Houston, TX /
Product & QA – Product /
Umbrage delivers cutting-edge software solutions by leveraging advanced trends and designs in technology. We are not a consultancy nor a design agency; we are artisans in designing and developing software solutions for our clients. Our focus is crafting state of the art digital products with impeccable design coupled with source code engineering.
Open communication is the foundation of our culture. We share ideas freely and understand that our cumulative experience and continued development nurtures excellence in our software solutions.
At Umbrage, we think great Product Managers come from different professional backgrounds and have diverse skill sets, but consistent with all Umbrage Product Managers, is their ability to facilitate creative thinking and to communicate technical details to a broad audience.
Umbrage Senior Product Managers have experiences, attitudes, and aptitudes that include:
At a High Level
- You model product management best practices, and you apply these approaches when leading software projects.
- You have managed multiple software development projects throughout the software development lifecycle, from project kickoff to successful completion.
- You are an expert in leading software discovery activities. You can take a project from an idea to a solution and you can lead a team of other professionals throughout that process, including coaching and mentoring other product managers as they shadow you.
- You possess solid product management expertise, business acumen, and leadership skills.
- You thoroughly understand and can clearly articulate the lifecycle of a software product from inception to design and development.
- You are an expert at kicking off new projects and facilitating workshop activities.
- You identify customers’ business challenges through discussion and facilitation exercises.
- You are an expert in Agile/Scrum and iterative software development practices, and you lead team activities including daily standups, backlog grooming, sprint planning, demos, and retrospectives.
- You create value propositions, feature use cases, and other content to create project roadmaps and timelines.
- You are an expert at translating designs and technical requirements into well written user stories.
- You lead studio project teams consisting of designers, developers, and testers.
- You are an expert and confident in your ability as one of the studio’s project leaders.
- You are an expert at assessing the status of a software project and proactively remediating risk.
- You are accountable for managing the scope, budget, requirements, timeline, and projects’ deliverables.
- You write and manage project statements of work.
- You give regular project updates.
- You interact with clients professionally, respectfully, and confidently and expect the same from team members.
- You manage client expectations, anticipating client concerns, and setting the right tone in meetings.
- You prepare and deliver status reports and other client materials.
- You identify new sales opportunities.
- You look out for the team and support their needs in terms of information, resources, and other support.
- You seek out opportunities to contribute without prompting.
- You seek support and guidance from others.
- You are engaged and contribute to a positive and productive work environment for all team members.
- You understand that no duty is too big or too small and you commit to getting the job done right.
- You work closely with the Director of Product to conduct coaching and training sessions for the craft and to assess, measure, track and improve the team’s performance.
- You teach product management best practices, and you create content to train the Product team craft.
- You communicate technical concepts clearly and you coach and train other product managers to develop their technical expertise.
Education and Experience
- You have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent experience.
- You have experience managing software development projects.
- You pursue professional certificates as needed per Umbrage technical standards.
- You have mastery of Scrum/Agile.
- You have advanced skills in software project management tools, project delivery, kicking off/leading workshops, defining project deliverables and managing the project process, developing epics/stories/backlogs, understanding application development and managing people.
- You have strong business acumen and a desire to develop your knowledge.
Umbrage is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions regarding employment shall be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local laws.