Chief of Staff (East coast/remote friendly)
New York, New York /
Isn’t it time you did something for yourself?
We think so, too. That’s why we want you to come Be Your Own CEO at Unacast.
At Unacast, we believe that unlocking the black box of human mobility data is the key to advancing innovation. That's why we’re building the Real World Graph® to provide a truly transparent and accurate understanding of the real world.
It's literally uncharted territory, which means a sense of adventure is a must. Want to come along?*
*Unacast is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage you to apply
We are looking for a Chief of Staff (COS)
We are hiring a Chief of Staff to the CEO. This is a critical role, as this person will be responsible for designing and executing strategic initiatives and operational programs in close partnership with the CEO and executive leaders across the organization. This person will be expected to work end-to-end on projects that can range from product incubation and growth strategies to M&A and partnership diligences, to pricing and sales enablement initiatives, to driving executive communications with external stakeholders. Consequently, this is a unique opportunity as this role will give the individual an insider's view on how a fast growing business is run, opportunities to contribute to the company's overall strategy and help drive its successful execution, and direct exposure to the executive team, functional leaders across the company, and the company's board.
Success in the role will result in you being viewed by the team as the key person behind the scenes making sure everything runs smoothly and efficiently. You're leveraging your cross-functional relationships to find out what is really happening in the business and working with the Management Team to incorporate that into initiatives and strategic direction. With your efforts, the CEO and executive team is executing at a higher level than ever before.
You have a deep interest in organizational management and understanding of strategies, the big picture and are seeking to leverage these skills in a rapidly growing organization. You have a clear track record of working with leadership to maintain a constant state of operational efficiency and bring passion and business excellence to everything you do.
You have a combination of strategy and technology market experience, very strong communications and interpersonal skills, and are able to thrive in high growth, fast-paced environments dealing with ambiguous and often complex problems.
You have a high level of integrity and discretion in handling all confidential information. You are a versatile self-starter with a team-oriented work style and have the ability to build credibility and relationships quickly across functions/levels. Solid business acumen, critical thinking, problem solving, and organizational skills are part of your core skills. You come from a background in operations, project management, administration, or a startup environment.
- Bachelor's degree or higher. Master's degree preferred
- 3+ years prior investment banking, management consulting or venture capital experience preferred
- 3+ years of experience working at a high growth tech company preferred
- 5 + years of demonstrated success leading large, time sensitive, complex projects and / or programs across teams or organizations, often working on multiple projects at the same time
- Incredibly well organized and detail oriented with the ability to change gears quickly
- High level of integrity and discretion in handling all confidential information
- Understand the key initiatives and workstreams leadership is focused on and work to drive progress and successful outcomes against these priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including negotiation skills. Ability to communicate complex concepts concisely, clearly, and effectively across multiple levels including executive leadership team, peers, and managers
- Experience working directly with senior executive leadership teams
- Advanced problem-solving, conflict resolution, active listening, and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills and tech savvy
Key areas of responsibility - Company Projects & Priorities
- Support the company with execution of vision, mission and strategic plans
- Ensure timely and effective completion of projects and initiatives and ensure these are executed in an efficient, cost-effective and diligent manner
- Lead special projects and programs. This includes key strategic initiatives that impact the overall success of the company as well as team culture initiatives to help support a healthy organization. Some projects will span beyond the scope of a single group, requiring cross-company collaboration
Key areas of responsibility - Meeting/Communication Support
- Support the Management Team in meetings which could include planning and facilitation, advising the agenda, guiding the discussion, bringing together notes and action items and assuming responsibility for completion of action items
- Represent in meetings when needed, and reports back on topics covered, actions taken and next steps
- Compose and manage correspondence dealing with issues or subject matter that is highly sensitive and confidential as needed
- Create executive summaries and brief the Management Team on specific issues and projects as needed
- Prepare, develop, and execute management presentations including Operations meetings, Executive Committee meetings, and Board of Director presentations as needed
Key areas of responsibility - Operations
- Provide insight and analysis on the organization's operations, key decisions and other business areas
- Research and recommend new and revised policies and strategies
- Create and maintain systems and processes to streamline operations
Key areas of responsibility - Administrative
- Help build and manage an admin team that takes care of:
- Extensive travel and meeting schedule for the company, including transportation, accommodations and other such needs as they arise
- Organize meetings, conferences, and receptions: invite the participants, schedule the facilities, negotiate with vendors and ensure the appropriate materials are in place
- The Chief of Staff will use strong leadership and problem-solving skills to assist with the daily operations of an organization which include the following:
- Oversee strategic business initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of senior leadership and departmental heads.
- Assist and communicate with executives in program management, and initiative implementation.
- Review, design, and execute on improvements to org structure, find knowledge and skills gaps and help address them
- Improve current processes and coordinate organizational procedures for optimized efficiency and productivity.
- Provide insight and analysis on the organization's operations, key decisions and other business areas as well as represent the executives in certain meetings she/he is unable to attend as needed
- Support accountability for key initiatives and deliverables
Who is Unacast?
Verified, actionable data facilitates fundamental insights in industries such as research, retail, real-estate, finance, advertising technology, city planning, transportation, and artificial intelligence. Location data is a key component, the core intelligence, that creates value for the players in these industries.
To help understand the impact of COVID-19, we have released many public dashboards and datasets to better act on both the health crisis and the economic crisis.
Unacast is a leader in transparent, contextualized location data. Like Google indexed the web, Unacast is indexing the physical world through The Real World Graph®, designing products that merge multiple types of data on human mobility to empower companies and individuals alike to make smarter decisions.
Unacast is a fast-growing Nordic company based on Nordic values with offices in Oslo and NYC. We were recently named "The #1 Small Company To Work At In NYC" and have been featured everywhere from Techcrunch to Forbes. We were named as one of 50 NYC Startups To Watch in 2019, and our co-founders were named to The Nordic 100. We were also awarded the Best New Nordic Company and Best IoT Startup at the Nordic Startup Awards. Inc. Magazine called us “The startup that just might threaten Google”.
We have strong revenue growth and have in the last three years raised over $50m in venture funding to fuel global expansion into new verticals and geographies.
Our company values are deeply embedded into everything we are and everything we do:
Be your own CEO: Everyone at Unacast can and is expected to take charge of their own situation, and make sure the company as a whole moves forward. Waiting for some feedback? Go get it! Want something done? Do it!
Trust through transparency: Dare to be vulnerable and show ourselves and the world who we really are. The trust we build through transparency will help to lift us all higher than we can rise alone.
Have fun, seriously: Create an unexpected moment that surprises and delights team members and partners. Everyone needs fun in their life, especially while doing something important.
Read more about our company and culture at https://careers.unacast.com/