Big Data Engineer
R&D – Data
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working everyday to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
We are now looking for a Data Engineer to join our growing Data team. Our main goal is to make sure everybody in Unbabel has access to the data they need, in the way they need it.
You will be responsible for designing and maintaining the core data pipelines that connect all aspects of the Unbabel Platform.
- Develop, deploy and maintain Data solutions that will ingest, process and store the necessary data to power Unbabel’s Product, AI Platform, BI and Analytics solutions
- Design batch or streaming dataflows capable of processing large quantities of fast moving unstructured data.
- Create source datasets for AI and A/B Testing
- Monitoring dataflows and underlying systems, promoting the necessary changes to ensure scalable, high performance solutions and assure data quality and availability
- Work closely with AI, Engineering and the rest of Unbabel to deliver world class data driven solutions
- Teams from the AI tribe, Engineering, Quality and Operations
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Math, or a similar area
- 2 years of experience in Data/Software Engineering
- Software engineering background with experience in OO programming or Functional Programming
- Good understanding of distributed systems principles
- Good understanding of one or more of the following: Python, Java or Scala
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, and HBase
- Experience with traditional RDBMS and data modeling
- Knowledge of ETL techniques
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Good team player
What you'll get
- To be part of a dynamic team in fast growing international start up
- Chance to learn tonnes from incredible people
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook Air and external monitor
- English or Portuguese language courses
- Surf trips every Thursday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
- All-hands trip to the beach once a quarter
- Yearly company retreat
Sounds great, doesn't it? Before applying, we invite you to do a mental checklist of the following points:
- Is my CV in English?
- Do I have any typos in my CV?
- Is this position aligned with my professional ambitions?
If you check all these items, please apply below.