Director of Linguistic Services
Operations – Quality (mgmt)
Unbabel’s“Translation as a Service” platform allows modern enterprises to understand and be understood by their customers in dozens of languages.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working every day to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast-paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
We are currently seeking a director for our Language Services team in our Lisbon office.
The Director of Language Services at Unbabel has the amazing opportunity of building universal understanding through stable and scalable quality processes. This person has the responsibility of managing highly qualified human resources from distinct fields of knowledge with the mission of improving a holistic system of quality assessment, control, and assurance across distinct products and customers. A Director of Language Services is by definition a flexible, understanding, and thoughtful person, in order to enable fluid communications across the whole company. They love establishing relationships and being a great teammate. We are looking for a highly efficient and motivated individual to work across several cross-functional teams and thrive in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities. The Language Services team extensively partner with multiple stakeholders, namely Applied AI, Data, Product, Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Brand, and others.
- Report to the CTO and/or other C-levels on a periodic basis
- Manage and scale the Language Services team
- Partner with other Unbabel cross-functional teams to create the next generation of technology and optimize existing processes
- Manage the outsourcing resources: plan, organize, and scale communication and project management processes
- Ensure experimental analysis, data collection, typological error analysis, and metrics for linguistic quality assessment and assurance
- Lead the team to generate actionable insights for the key stakeholders
- Contribute to the automation of language services processes and products
- Ensure that budgets and requirements are carefully planned, specified and followed
- Be a role model in terms of communication skills and flexibility; contribute to build universal understanding within and across teams
- Evangelize the Unbabel’s mission of universal understanding on a daily basis, practice company values and lead by example
- The Language Services Team works will all the teams at Unbabel and has a direct impact on several other teams. A key-factor for the success of this role(and for the fluid communication with other teams) are soft skills, i. e., flexibility to understand others perspectives, opinions, distinct or even contradictory points of view; ability to understand team needs and priorities above own perspectives; understand the helicopter view, the holistic perspective and motivate others to share the view; ability to motivate and mentor a tolerant approach towards all to other teams: AAI, Data, Product, Engineering, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Brand.
Qualifications & Skills
- Technical skills and good knowledge of linguistics/translation studies, NLP, ASR, and AI.
- Experience in customer-facing translation or localization department is a must.
- Good knowledge of state-of-the-art in translation quality and linguistic analysis.
- PhD in linguistics or proven record of leading a localization team is preferred.
- Project management and reporting experience are crucial.
- Soft skills are core to build understanding within and across teams.
- Balance between previous experience, technical and soft skills to lead a world class language services team.
- Customer facing and customer centric experience in SaaS business.
- Excellent communication skills: English fluency(spoken and written). Proficiency in another language is a plus.
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Individual budget to setup your workstation (mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook and external monitor
- Yearly company retreat
- Healthy food (fruit, dairy & snacks) in the office
- English, Portuguese and Japanese language courses
- Surf trips every Thursday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
If this position fits your profile, apply now with your CV in English!
(We are not accepting candidates coming from recruitment agencies at this moment)