Senior Big Data Engineer
R&D – Data
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working everyday to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
We are now looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our growing Data team. Our main goal is to make sure everybody in Unbabel has access to the data they need, in the way they need it.
You will be responsible for designing and maintaining the core data pipelines that connect all aspects of the Unbabel Platform.
- Develop, deploy and maintain Data solutions that will ingest, process and store the necessary data to power Unbabel’s Product, AI Platform, BI and Analytics solutions
- Monitoring performance and advising any necessary infrastructure changes
- Defining data retention policies and capacity planning
- Design and build infrastructure to support scalable A/B Testing Experiments across the product
- Work closely with AI, Engineering and the rest of Unbabel to deliver world class data driven solutions
- Teams from the AI tribe, Engineering, Quality and Operations
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Math, or a similar area
- Strong understanding of distributed system principles
- Good understanding of Lambda and Kappa Architectures, along with their advantages and drawbacks
- Proficient in one of the following languages: Python, Java or Scala
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- Experience with Data Warehouses (e.g. Redshift, Snowflake, etc..) and related concepts
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, and HBase
- Experience with messaging systems, such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Knowledge stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Spark-Streaming, Flink, Kafka Streams, Storm or similar
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Knowledge of Hadoop, MapReduce, HDFS
- Strong SQL knowledge
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Good team player
What you'll get
- To be part of a dynamic team in fast growing international start up
- Chance to learn tonnes from incredible people
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook Air and external monitor
- English or Portuguese language courses
- Surf trips every Thursday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
- All-hands trip to the beach once a quarter
- Yearly company retreat
Sounds great, doesn't it? Before applying, we invite you to do a mental checklist of the following points:
- Is your CV in English?
- Do I have any typos in my CV?
- Is this position aligned with my professional ambitions?
If you check all these items, please apply below.