Sr. Applied Scientist - Machine Learning
R&D – Applied AI
Unbabel’s“Translation as a Service” platform allows modern enterprises to understand and be understood by their customers in dozens of languages.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working every day to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast-paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
To strengthen the Applied AI team, we are looking for a senior applied researcher with machine learning and natural language processing (NLP) experience to build, scale and maintain artificial intelligence (AI) services at Unbabel. You'll be working closely with other AI researchers, software engineers, product managers, and data analysts in developing truly disruptive NLP products that are changing the way translation is done. The Applied AI team is responsible for the productization of the core AI platform and exploration of the new opportunities in NLP and AI.
- Conceive, plan, and conduct applied research targeting to help address challenging problems in translation/localization domain
- Design, implement, evaluate and optimize novel ML and NLP algorithms and models that lead to improved performance of Unbabel applications in real world scenarios
- Design, prototype and benchmark algorithms that combine human & machine workers to train high quality ML models.
- Work on large-scale datasets and create scalable and accurate systems in versatile languages / application fields
- Suggest, design and build reusable tools to aid in rapid iteration and development.
- Have a lot of fun hanging out with the Unbabel team
- PhD in data-driven, statistical and machine-learning based approaches to natural language processing is preferred
- Minimum of either 2 years of experience in software engineering (preferred) or post-doctoral experience
- Hands on experience with various deep machine learning techniques and toolkits
- Strong proficiency in python
- Knowledge of MT toolkits (Marian, OpenNMT and the like) and NLP libraries and tools (NLTK, SpaCy, CoreNLP) will be a big plus
- Experience with agile software development preferred
- High verbal and written communication in English(C1 CEFR level)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- AI Research
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Individual budget to set up your workstation (mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook and external monitor
- Yearly company retreat
- Healthy food (fruit, dairy & snacks) in the office
- English, Portuguese and Japanese language courses
- Surf trips every Thursday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
Sounds great, doesn't it? If this position fits your profile, apply now with your CV in English!
(We are not accepting candidates coming from recruitment agencies at this moment)