Junior Research Scientist
R&D – AI Research
Unbabel’s “Translation as a Service” platform allows modern enterprises to understand and be understood by their customers in dozens of languages.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Pinterest, Skyscanner, Under Armour and Rovio.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working everyday to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
We are looking for a Junior Research Scientist to conduct the research that will power the next generation of products at Unbabel.
This is a great opportunity to focus and see the impact of AI in a real business case.
- Advance the state-of-the-art in Machine Translation, Quality Estimation, and Natural Language Processing
- Play an active role in NLP and ML research communities
- Participate in joint projects with academic partners
- Coordinate with other Unbabel teams to understand key challenges across the business and where research can bring value
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- 1+ years of experience with Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence techniques and tools
- 1+ years of experience programming with Python, Java, OR C++
- Demonstrated ability in the application of Machine Learning/AI in real-world settings
- Experience with Deep Learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, DyNet, PyTorch, or Marian
- Have a critical mindset to judge different approaches and evaluate potential research problems
- Be goal-oriented and capable of breaking research problems into milestones
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Individual budget to setup your own workstation (mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Relocation Package
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook Pro and external monitor
- English or Portuguese language courses
- Surf trips every Wednesday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
- All-hands trip to the beach once a quarter
- Yearly company retreat