Senior Backend Software Developer
R&D – Engineering
Unbabel’s “Translation as a Service” platform allows modern enterprises to understand and be understood by their customers in dozens of languages.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working everyday to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
We are looking for an experienced backend developer to build, scale and maintain services at Unbabel. Unbabel engineers drive things forward and get things done. Our engineers build features today that users will use tomorrow. You must be ready to firefight against scaling or design challenges in real time. You must not waiver in the face of highly complex mishmashes of microservices that need untangling.
- Lead and manage a team of engineers to deliver, maintain and improve current services and APIs
- Design and implementation of reliable architectures and services
- Writing reusable, testable and efficient code
- Task breakdown and prioritization of software development related activities
- Maintain and support production services, including alarming, metrics, runbooks
- Contribute to a culture of self-improvement and high standards of quality
- Mentor other engineers and help them grow
- Good English communication skills
- Solid understanding of backend architectures and their trade-offs
- 5 years of professional experience
- Excellent Python coding skills
- Strong coding skills in any other programming languages such as C++/Go/Scala/Erlang/Java/C#
- Experience with diverse database systems: SQL and NoSQL databases
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Individual budget to setup your own workstation (mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Relocation Package
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook and external monitor
- English or Portuguese language courses
- Surf trips every Friday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- All-hands trip to the beach once a quarter
- Yearly company retreat