Junior AI Researcher
R&D – Applied AI
Unbabel’s“Translation as a Service” platform allows modern enterprises to understand and be understood by their customers in dozens of languages.
Powered by AI and refined by a global community of tens of thousands of human linguists, Unbabel delivers professional-grade content at the scale required by modern enterprises like Facebook, Microsoft, Under Armour, Pinterest and Expedia.
Backed by Scale Venture Partners, Notion, Microsoft Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Samsung NEXT and Y Combinator, Unbabel is accelerating the shift to a world without language barriers.
We are a diverse team, working every day to build an outstanding organisational culture, based on strong values of transparency, team spirit and continuous learning, with a fast-paced Silicon Valley atmosphere in the beautiful city of Lisbon, Portugal.
To strengthen the Video team, we are looking for a junior researcher with some experience in Automated Speech Recognition (ASR) and/or natural language processing (NLP), knowledge to design and implement automated Rich Transcription (RT) services. You'll be working closely with AI researchers, software engineers, product managers, and data analysts in developing truly disruptive products that are changing the way transcription is done.
- Design, plan, implement, test and analyse mission-critical production code in Python
- Fluency in Bash scripting
- Implement approaches and ideas to help address challenging problems in the transcription domain
- Design algorithms that combine human & machine workers to train high-quality RT models
- Build reusable tools to aid in rapid iteration and development.
- Help develop and maintain a data and computing infrastructure.
- Maintain an ASR service based on Kaldi / GStreamer
- Have a lot of fun hanging out with the Unbabel team
Qualification and Skills
- MS degree in Informatics, Electronics, Computer Science, Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence, major is preferred
- A solid foundation in Automatic Speech Recognition or Natural Language Processing
- Hands-on experience with various deep machine-learning techniques and toolkits (TensorFlow, Pytorch…)
- Strong proficiency in Python
- Knowledge of ASR and/or NLP libraries and tools (Kaldi, NLTK, SpaCy, CoreNLP) will be a big plus
- Experience with agile software development
- Fluent English
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Applied AI team, Video team, INESC-ID research team, Engineering team
- Competitive salary at one of Europe’s leading tech startups
- Stimulating startup environment committed to diversity and inclusion
- Individual budget for training and conferences
- Individual budget to setup your workstation(mechanical keyboard, mouse, etc.)
- Stock options
- Health Insurance
- MacBook and external monitor
- Yearly company retreat
- Healthy food(fruit, dairy & snacks) in the office
- English, Portuguese and Japanese language courses
- Surf trips every Thursday morning before work
- Team lunch every Tuesday
- Drinks and snacks every Friday
Sounds great, doesn't it? If this position fits your profile, apply now with your CV in English!
(We are not accepting candidates coming from recruitment agencies at this moment)