Backend Engineer (Founding Team)
San Francisco /
Unbox is a testing and debugging platform for machine learning models. Unbox makes it easy for ML teams to find failures and biases, figure out their root causes, and create unit tests to ensure they stay fixed — all baked in with experiment tracking and versioning (think GitHub for ML). The company was founded by three previous Siri engineers who contributed to over 15 different AI/ML projects at Apple.
Unbox is currently working with several well-known enterprise companies worth over $1B, helping them rapidly improve the quality of their models and datasets and save tons of time and money.
We're looking for a founding engineer to help us build the future of sustainable, performant, and ethical machine learning.
We're backed by Y Combinator and several of the top investors and funds in the world, including the founders of companies like Instagram, Voyage, Instacart, Sendbird, Mercury.
- Create, design, build and deploy crucial ML infrastructure and algorithms that power our product features
- Manage the core API layer and database (PostgreSQL)
- Propose, build and deploy security improvements across Unbox's environments
- Database and Systems Architecture
- DevOps - AWS / cloud-agnostic Docker Infra and CI/CD pipeline
- Work directly with our customers' engineering teams to create backend and infrastructure solutions to meet their challenging data and security needs
- 3-5 years of industry experience as a backend engineer
- Significant Python experience
- Experience with performance optimization and/or building highly scalable systems
- Experience building systems that process large volumes of data
- Experience or interest in using the following: AWS, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Python, Redis, Spark
- A creative, collaborative, and product-focused mindset
- At least a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- (Optional) Experience working with large scale Machine Learning systems
We offer highly competitive cash, equity packages, and benefits. The founding team works flexibly in and out of the office. Remote work is also a possibility.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other protected classes.
Questions? You can contact us at email@example.com