Research & Development
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
As Understory’s Electrical Engineer you will be responsible for component selection, subsystem architecture definition, development, and integration into our current product and next generation product designs. We are looking for an inventive problem solver who loves to build things and thinks cross-functionally – from schematic capture and layout to firmware development and mechanical prototyping. You must be self-driven, passionate about technology, curious, and diverse of thought in finding unique solutions.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Iterate on existing proprietary sensor design to improve functionality and reduce cost
- Create mixed signal PCB designs that meet industrial design requirements with an intense focus on size, cost, time to market, and quality targets
- Work closely with team to prototype novel sensing techniques and circuitry
- Provide engineering insight to identify and troubleshoot complex issues arising from RF interference or signal integrity issues
- Work in a multi-disciplinary engineering team for new products, providing electrical design expertise to ensure successful product bring up
- Define electrical architecture and execute development (component selection, schematic capture, layout, bring up, and debug) through the entire product life cycle
- Define test criteria and draft test plans for internal or remote teams
You're exactly what we're looking for if you:
- Have 8+ years of industry experience, connected device experience a plus, especially in low power platforms
- Have deep knowledge in some of the following areas: wireless protocols, RF & antennas, IoT, DSP, signal integrity, mixed signal analog, power management
- Have extensive experience with Altium
- Are self-directed, creative, and maintain a high need for excellence
- Are able to articulate and defend engineering decisions
- Are comfortable with managing outsourced design teams as well as full local design responsibility
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Generous vacation policy
- Free drinks, goodies, and balanced snacks
- Frequent company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Lots of company swag