Full Stack Engineer
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About the Role:
At Understory, we have a lot of weather data and several diverse audiences each with their own needs and purposes for that data. The Full Stack Engineer bridges this gap by designing and developing APIs and applications, both web and mobile, to help our users better understand and respond to weather events and longer-term climate trends.
Core Responsibilities Will Include:
○ Design and develop web and mobile APIs and applications
○ Build and improve upon data access for APIs with SQL
○ Collaborate with frontend, product, and marketing teams to communicate requirements, integration points, and technical feasibility
○ Troubleshoot issues and document their resolution
○ 2+ years of experience designing and developing web or mobile applications
○ Experience developing applications with relational databases and SQL
○ Familiarity with web and backend development using Java and Maven
○ Knowledge of REST API, web application, and mobile UX and development standards
○ Disciplined work ethic with enthusiasm for overcoming challenges and solving problems
○ Comfortable in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment
○ Bachelor’s degree in computer programming, computer science, or a related field
○ Previous work with geographically distributed teams
○ Experience with the Cassandra database and CQL language
○ Experience with geospatial data and visualizations, such as PostGIS and Mapbox
○ Experience with ReactJS
Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
Unlimited vacation policy
Frequent company and team-building events
Lots of company swag