Sales Business Development Manager, Europe
Paris (remote) /
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About The Role
The Business Development Sales role is within the Understory Europe team and reports to the Understory Europe Director. Given the entrepreneurial nature of the business you will be working closely with the entire team across Paris, France and Madison, Wisconsin USA and other locations. You will be responsible for executing and driving growth within a designated Territory or Accounts. This position requires approximately 20% travel.
Core Responsibilities Will Include:
- Customer management, be the voice and face of Understory towards broker partners
- Broker product briefings to active relationships and commercial projects
- Define and contribute or execute quarterly demand generation activities based on a solid plan (webinars, target specific broker teams, sales training…)
- Drive Sales/Partnership Pipelines growth, achieve or exceed targets (order entry, revenue, and profitability) through an effective deal execution process from deal qualification to deal closure
- Liaises with the broader Understory cross-functional team to coordinate sales efforts, gain insights on business and communicate performance and progress of products, solutions & specified accounts
- Collect and organize market intelligence to increase the quality of decision making related to business lines and activities
- Communicate a clear vision of the future: discuss, explain and actively promote the vision within own team, to peers and customers
- Motivate through inspiration and mobilize teams: create a comfortable working environment, establish an atmosphere for discussions, seek for feedback and call for people’s opinions
- Min. 3 years experience in an Insurance/Reinsurance Sales position
- Experience in customer interaction. Able to forge relationships and credibility quickly and effectively
- Demonstrated sales skills and the ability to convince through ideas, insights and discussion
- The candidate will be educated to a minimum Bachelor degree level and ideally has a relevant industry qualification
- Ability to engage and communicate effectively across the business
- Self-motivated and organised with ability to manage and prioritise multiple opportunities simultaneously
- Team player who is flexible and adaptable across a range of tasks
- Experience with automotive or agriculture industries is preferred
- Experience with advanced software, engineering, insurtech, meteorology, agronomy a plus
- Enjoys the chase of new business
- English: Fluent (mandatory), additional European language is a plus
- Good work life balance with a competitive salary
- We offer excellent career prospects and attractive remuneration package to the right candidates
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family