Jr. Data Scientist
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
An Understory Junior Data Scientist assists in the analysis of weather station and air quality sensor data to improve our understanding of weather and air quality. They work closely with engineers and software developers to advance pattern detection algorithms, data analysis, prototyping systems, and large-scale applications that help produce interesting and meaningful weather products for our customers.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Build models using data from Understory’s networks in unique and interesting ways
- Monitor our hundreds of stations to find interesting patterns and weather events
- Explore new uses of our one-of-a-kind dataset
- Analyze how different weather impacts people and property
- Support our data science team and business development teams with data collection and analysis
You're exactly what we're looking for if you have:
- Bachelor’s in meteorology, mathematics, computer science, finance, economics, or science-related field
- Master’s is highly preferred
- Experience with Python, regression analysis, clustering, and predictive models
- Experience with information retrieval and large data sets
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms
- Independent with the ability to work well as part of a team
- Excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic professional environment
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Generous vacation policy
- Free drinks, goodies, and balanced snacks
- Frequent company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Lots of company swag