Madison, WI /
Research & Development /
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
As Understory’s Product Development Mechanical Engineer, you will both adjust existing designs and create brand new ones, working closely with our research and development team to bring new concepts to life. You will own implementation projects, coordinate closely with suppliers, keep a close eye on RMA failure modes, and investigate quality issues down to the root cause. You must also be highly organized and flexible to manage multiple projects to meet business needs, as well as able to successfully communicate project status to stakeholders. This role will require a “can do” attitude, meticulous attention to detail, a deadline-minded intrinsic drive, and willingness to garner support from team members to accomplish your tasks.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Qualify new products and features by implementing design changes, conducting regression tests, and introducing to production as appropriate
- Collaborate with team members to bring mechanical and electromechanical products from conception to manufacturing
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product.
- Assure system and product quality by designing and specifying suitable testing methods
- Prepare product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Maintain product and company reputation by complying with industry regulations, best practices, and intellectual property rights
- Keep lab equipment operational by coordinating maintenance and repair services, following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures, and requesting special services
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through ongoing education, training, conferences, etc.
- Maintain part documentation including drawings, bill of materials, quality specifications, and trusted supplier details
- Assist with R&D projects and other miscellaneous tasks as needed
You're exactly what we're looking for if you:
- Bachelor’s in Engineering or similar field
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical engineering
- Strong technical expertise and fundamental knowledge of mechanics, physics, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and materials dynamics
- Familiar with CAD modeling and experience creating engineering drawings and specifications
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing
- Able to collect, aggregate and process datasets with a variety of measurement tools, data acquisition techniques, and software packages
- Strong multidisciplinary analytical skills, proficiency in experimental methods
- Organized, hard-working, independent, and a self-starter with strong attention to detail
We’ll be even more excited if you:
- Familiarity with Python
- Demonstrable experience with Solidworks
- Familiar with FMEA, HALT/HASS, Design of Experiments
- Demonstrable experience with a wide variety of sensors and their intended applications, advantages, drawbacks
- Experience machining with a lathe, CNC mill, and general prototyping
- Base salary commensurate with experience
- Full-time benefits