Does designing solutions to unique and novel problems and working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary, caring team excite you? Do you love fast-paced, flexible, and fun environments?
If so, we have a career for you!
Understory’s Controller is responsible for the accounting operations; to include the production of financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Prepare annual, quarterly, and monthly reports
- Prepare and update budgets, models, and forecasts
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that accounts receivables are collected promptly
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over all financial transactions
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Coordinate the provision of information to internal and external auditors for the periodic audits
- Review controls, policies, procedures, and implements enhancements to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the company’s operations and maintain appropriate documentation
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Provide support for other ad hoc analyses and projects as needed
- Ownership of expense accounts
- Assist in oversight of all payroll and billing functions
You're exactly what we're looking for if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in public accounting required; additional private accounting experience preferred
- Proven track record in accounting and a desire to bring best practices to a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally
- Experience working with people remotely and internationally
- Experience with Quickbooks Online or other accounting software
- Exposure to and are comfortable working with an ERP
- Ability to manage deadlines and projects simultaneously
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and superior attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact at all levels of the organization
We’ll be even more excited if you have:
- CPA license
- Experience with foreign banks and foreign currency
- Base salary commensurate with experience
- Full-time benefits
Understory detects rain, hail, wind, and other weather events where the risk to life and property is the greatest – directly at the earth’s surface. Understory's ground-truth detection provides weather data that leads the industry in resolution and fidelity, which has tremendous potential value and application throughout the country as $485 billion of the U.S. economy fluctuates with weather, touching industries such as insurance, agriculture, and broadcast.
Currently, Understory is an early-stage company consisting of twenty awesome team members and is venture backed by $20M+ in financing. Our team works hard, but also makes time for team and family fun!