Hardware Engineering Internship
Madison, WI /
Internship Summer 2022 /
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
Internship Program Details:
• The Summer Program is a paid, full-time, 13-week internship
• Students are expected to intern for 40 hours/week alongside their respective virtual and in-person team
• Student MUST be available for the entire duration of the program which runs from May 23 - August 19, 2022
• Working toward a Bachelor's or Master’s degree
• Be over 18 years of age and able to work in the USA
• Must be fully vaccinated
• Bring their student mentality and be willing to learn new skills
• Have confident communication skills and enjoy working in a collaborative group setting
• Have a solid work ethic and desire to succeed in a fast-paced startup environment
• Work well independently and as part of a team working towards a common goal
• Be slightly competitive and willing to go the extra mile to get the job done
About the Role:
As Understory’s summer Hardware Engineering Intern, you’ll support the company’s engineering team by developing and testing new products, and running experiments to generate new knowledge. You’ll work closely with our engineers in our Madison lab. Our goal is to give you meaningful development and professional growth experiences that will make a real contribution to the company’s success.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Help design and conduct experiments that are critical to developing new technologies
• Solve engineering problems discovered through testing
• Work with embedded developers and signal processors to improve technologies and signal quality
• Design CAD models and build prototypes
• Help design and conduct testing of our next generation of technology
• Are currently studying mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field
• Have a strong portfolio of code samples which can include coursework and work-related projects
• Have an interest in understanding the role IoT will play in solving the financial risks caused by climate change