Madison, WI /
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About the Role:
As an Operational Forecaster at Understory, you play a fundamental role by forecasting and monitoring daily risks of severe weather - primarily hail, damaging winds, and conditions conducive to flooding - and additional weather hazards in Understory-enabled areas, both domestic and international. You will assist on a myriad of projects, ranging from early-stage R&D to commercialized products, using your knowledge of atmospheric sciences and weather expertise. You will contribute to a quickly growing company’s success with your attention to detail and dedication to your craft. You will be the third member of our Meteorology team and will be responsible for rotating shift and weekend work.
Core Responsibilities Will Include:
- Generating one to three-day forecasts within internal communication channels and for various customers and industry verticals
- Monitor Understory customer and R&D locations by providing updates before, during, and post events when inclement weather is present
- Confirming the validity of policy triggering events and station alerts
- Augmenting our ground truth sensor data with a variety of mediums and technology solutions
- Participating in/leading daily storm review discussions and ad hoc briefings
- Providing co-workers with weather expertise and insights to support ongoing projects
- Contribute to discussions regarding the design and implementation of new and existing products
- Support internal teams when conducting installations, customer visits, and other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Meteorology
- 3+ years of operational forecasting experience
- Disciplined in performing independent work with little guidance
- Have a thorough understanding of the thermodynamics of the atmosphere in relation to severe weather forecasting
- Enthusiastic and skilled in briefing/interacting with diverse audiences
- Open to learning and creating new techniques and methods in line with novel solutions and unique product design
- Can think outside of the box, innovate, and challenge conventional wisdom
Nice to Have:
- Forecasting experience in hydrology (highly preferred)
- Forecasting experience in the agricultural sector
- Forecasting experience in remote locations
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Company swag