Jr. Embedded Engineer
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About this role:
As a Junior Embedded Software Engineer at Understory, you will contribute to the entire application development lifecycle. We are looking for a candidate with a passion to work with digital electronics and develop highly reliable software for target platforms.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Develop and debug existing code base
- Contribute value-added features requested by the Engineering team
- Aid in designing and implementing applications for new hardware
- Implement software and hardware-in-the-loop tests
You're exactly what we're looking for if you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field. Commensurate experience considered
- Experience with application development in C or C++
- Familiarity with Git
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment
- Able to demonstrate solid software fundamentals
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
We’ll be even more excited if you:
- Able to operate lab equipment (e.g. multimeters, oscilloscopes, digital signal analyzers, power supplies, etc.)
- Familiarity with Python
- Experience working with C++11 or newer
- Experience working with microcontrollers
- Have a passion for working with digital electronics
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Generous vacation policy
- Free drinks, goodies, and balanced snacks
- Frequent company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Lots of company swag