Research & Development
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with parametric insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
Working as Understory's Field Technician in our Madison HQ, you will be on the front line of our weather station network deployments and have the opportunity to work closely with our engineering department to install and repair weather stations; aid in the construction inspection, testing, and condition assessments; and develop inspection reports. While you rock this role, you will work alongside a team that delivers disruptive products that bring together custom built hardware, unique data analytics, and user-friendly cloud platforms.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Preparing installation documentation, photo documentation, and inventory reports
- Traveling to site locations across the US and installing weather stations
- Meeting project guidelines in ways that balance technical requirements, constructibility, cost, maintainability, operability, and safety
- Completing electrical and mechanical maintenance
- Evaluating and making recommendations for process and product improvements
- Assisting with lab and field tests by deploying weather stations and third-party sensors
- Maintaining an organized lab space
You're exactly what we're looking for if you:
- Love working with your hands and thinking on your feet
- Have an excellent mechanical aptitude
- Are an excellent communicator with strong attention to detail
- Are flexible, hardworking, and independent
- Are skilled at interpreting circuit and mechanical drawings
- Are quick to learn new technologies
- Desire to work in an early-stage company
- Can lift objects up to 75 pounds regularly
- Are comfortable with climbing ladders, bending, squatting, stooping, twisting, reaching, walking, standing, and working at heights and/or on irregular surfaces
- Have your own reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, meet qualifications to be insured on company vehicles and able/willing to drive a company vehicle
We’ll be even more excited if you:
- Have experience working remotely, or with a partially remote team
- Have experience in tower, electric power distribution, home satellite installation, telecom, or construction industries
- Are comfortable with a working hour spread of 50% travel/onsite and 50% office work
- Are climbing certified, or have extensive climbing experience
- Have machining experience on a lathe or CNC mill
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Generous vacation policy
- Free drinks, goodies, and balanced snacks
- Frequent company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Lots of company swag