Madison, WI /
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About the Role:
Working as Understory's Field Engineer, your work will span the gambit of hands-on weather station installation and maintenance to project support. You will work alongside a lean, diverse team that delivers disruptive insurance products that leverage Understory’s custom-built hardware, unique data analytics, and user-friendly cloud platforms.
If you enjoy working in a casual and highly collaborative organization that brings the most advanced weather data and technology to the market, you're a great fit for our team!
Core Responsibilities Will Include:
- Travel to and install/perform maintenance on weather stations across the US – some international install/network work may be needed
- Evaluate and make recommendations for process and product improvements as you work with the equipment and work through various install/maintenance projects
- Assist in maintaining an organized lab and inventory environment
- Assist in install/maintenance project support through evaluating technical requirements, project costs, following up with subcontractors, and the like
- Provide clear and concise install/maintenance project reports to operations manager
- Have a valid Driver’s License and sufficient state insurance coverage
- Have or can obtain a passport allowing for international travel
- Have hands-on experience with electrical and/or mechanical devices
- Demonstrate a high level of organization
- Demonstrate the ability to adhered to tight deadlines
- Maintain a high level of business ethics and professionalism
- Are extremely adaptable – responds effectively to changes in situation or information
- Can lift objects up to 75 pounds regularly
- Are comfortable with climbing ladders, bending, squatting, stooping, twisting, reaching, walking, standing, and working at heights and/or on irregular surfaces
- Are a motivated, self-starter with the ability to work independently and set your own priorities
- Are an excellent communicator with strong attention to detail
- Are outgoing, confident, and persistent
- Desire to work in an early-stage company
- If you have a Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business program, it will be considered a strong advantage
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Frequent company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Lots of company swag