VP of Software Engineering
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About the Role:
As the VP of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for the strategy and execution of our software engineering department. As a direct report to the CTO and as a member of the leadership team, you will make a significant impact on our success by leading the growth of our engineering team.
In this role, you will develop and lead high-performing remote teams with an engineering ethos that focuses on technical innovation, continuous improvement, and team collaboration. You will partner with our Design and Product teams to plan and deliver the growth of our products.
The successful candidate will be passionate about building high-performance teams focused on quality, urgency, and innovation. As a team leader, you will establish hiring plans, develop professional growth plans, and create systems and processes that drive our inclusive, collaborative engineering culture.
This is a remote opportunity open to candidates located in North America.
Core Responsibilities will Include:
- Lead the development, implementation, and support of our applications, including analysis, code design, programming, and testing
- Lead our Engineering practice in setting the strategic direction and driving a strong execution and delivery-focused culture
- Partner closely with the CTO and the broader Leadership team to drive the Technology strategy and build capabilities in the people and processes to ensure the effectiveness and success of the technology organization
- Directly manage and mentor a team of engineering leaders and architects to broaden their skills, increase their day-to-day effectiveness, and ultimately grow their careers.
- Partner with Product Management to plan, develop, and deliver our products. Oversee technical design of new products. Manage timelines and resourcing and take accountability for execution.
- Implement development processes around engineering design reviews, code reviews, release schedules, documentation, etc.
- Hire and manage a high-performance growth-oriented team
- 7+ years of management experience, with at least 2 years of VP experience
- Experience working at early stage startups (<100 people)
- Experience scaling engineering teams up to 50 people. Bonus points for having done it in a fully distributed/remote model, across time zones
- History of creating growth opportunities and managing team members to achieve these objectives
- Proven experience managing multiple complex projects
- Proven track record of building and leading inclusive and engaged engineering teams
- Must have strong collaboration and team building skills up, down, and across an organization
- Expertise in building B2B products (B2B2C is a plus)
- Competitive salary
- Company equity
- Health benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Dental and vision benefits 100% covered for your entire family
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Volunteer time-off
- Company and team-building events
- Monthly stipend for health and wellness
- Company swag