Manufacturing Support Engineer
Does designing solutions to unique and novel problems and working with a collaborative, multidisciplinary, caring team excite you? Do you love fast-paced, flexible, and fun environments?
If so, we have a career for you!
As Understory’s Manufacturing Support Engineer, you are responsible for helping to ensure smooth product manufacturing processes and high-quality products as we scale. You need to be a startup-minded technologist passionate about guiding and managing the technical aspects of Understory’s manufacturing activities. You will partner with our external contract manufacture, internal engineers, and suppliers to test and troubleshoot manufacturing issues. Lastly, you will provide early and on-going manufacturing design involvement to ensure new products are designed for manufacturing (DFM). This position will require regular travel to our contract manufacturing facility two (2) hours south of Madison, Wisconsin.
Your main role responsibilities will include:
- Continuous communication with and travel to contract manufacturer (CM) to meet product schedule, quality objectives, and inventory management levels
- Being the main point of contact for the contract manufacturer, fully embracing all aspects including procurement, incoming quality inspections, ECO implementation, and mutual cost target objectives
- Assessing process capabilities, prioritizing process improvement opportunities, and innovating and implementing process improvements on current manufacturing processes
- Providing production support with respect to technically complex testing methods, procedures, and failure analysis
- Identifying issues and supporting personnel to triage and implement short-term fixes and long-term resolutions
- Being on-site with suppliers and contract manufacturer for equipment bring-up, qualification, acceptance testing, and support during build events
- Identifying alternative sources for fabricated components to aid in volume production. Acting as liaison to second source fabricated supplier to champion best practices from initial development learnings
- Working all phases of a product from concept to repeat manufacturing to end of life
You're exactly what we're looking for if you have:
- BS/MS in an engineering field, such as Mechanical, Manufacturing, Production
- 3+ years of progressive experience in R&D and engineering environments for process development
- Familiarity with code – Python preferred
- Previous experience in working with contract manufacturers and suppliers
- Demonstrated success in designing new products introductions and new processes
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple concurrent priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional project management skills
Understory detects rain, hail, wind, and other weather events where the risk to life and property is the greatest – directly at the earth’s surface. Understory's ground-truth detection provides weather data that leads the industry in resolution and fidelity, which has tremendous potential value and application throughout the country as $485 billion of the U.S. economy fluctuates with weather, touching industries such as insurance, agriculture, and broadcast.
Currently, Understory is an early-stage company consisting of twenty awesome team members and is venture backed by $20M+ in financing. Our team works hard, but also makes time for team and family fun!