Business Planning and Market Analysis Internship
Climate change is creating a crisis for the insurance industry and those who rely on it for financial security.
Every year, severe weather causes billions of dollars of damage. Yet traditional insurers lack the tools to accurately assess and price severe weather risk. Without knowing what to expect, insurers expect the worst, leading to unaffordable premiums. For industries such as retail automotive and agriculture, traditional insurance is becoming unattainable. These business owners are at risk of financial devastation whenever a storm strikes.
Understory is the first company to solve the insurance coverage crisis with data-driven insurance for severe weather, starting with hail. Our growing network of ground-based Dot weather sensors, combined with our Atmospheric Intelligence AI, allow us to assess and price any weather risk in the world.
When severe weather strikes, Understory detects it and triggers a fast, predetermined payout. There are no burdensome financial deductibles, and no lengthy claims process. Ultimately, Understory allows capital to quickly flow where it’s needed most after a disaster, protecting everything from automobiles to the world’s food supply.
About the Role:
Understory's technology supports the implementation of new insurance products and techniques. As we seek to enter new markets, we are looking for two energetic students to conduct market analysis and build high level business plans to help vet these opportunities.
Our focus areas center around solutions to climate risk with the application of technologies to detect specific perils and understand the resultant damage. The work will dive deep into proposed solutions and their associated requirements for execution. A financial and market analysis will complement designing strategies to address the opportunity.
Internship Program Details:
• The Summer Program is a paid, full-time, 13-week internship
• Students are expected to intern for 40 hours/week alongside their respective virtual team
• Student MUST be available for the entire duration of the program which runs from May 17 - August 13, 2021
• Working toward a Bachelor's or Master’s degree
• Currently studying business, economics, statistics, entrepreneurship, or a related field
• Be over 18 years of age and able to work in the USA
• Bring their student mentality and be willing to learn new skills
• Have confident communication skills and enjoy working in a collaborative group setting
• Have a solid work ethic and desire to succeed in a fast-paced startup environment
• Work well independently and as part of a team working towards a common goal
• Be slightly competitive and willing to go the extra mile to get the job done