Senior Java Developer
Unific Job Description - Senior Java Software Engineer
As a Senior Java Software Engineer you love to solve difficult problems, you enjoy mentoring others and you want to work with other highly qualified and motivated team members. You will have control, influence and an opportunity to build Unific’s technology from the ground up. You will also have many chances to learn new things and use cutting edge technologies.
We are investing in DevOps and testing automation so that we can iterate the product quickly. This means that you will need to be excited and passionate about automated testing.
We also release to production regularly once per week, with the next goal of releasing 3 times per week.
Who we are
- We’re a SaaS company that helps online retailers grow by automatically attracting, converting and retaining customers.
- We’re a scrappy start up that is rapidly growing. With backing from investors, we are excited to expand our team.
- We are building a highly scalable and reliable event processing platform using Serverless architectures (AWS Lambda).
You're good at
- Experience with Drools or other business rule management system (BRMS)
- Experience using AWS (AWS certification preferred, but not required)
- Experience using Dependency Injection with Spring 4.2+ or Google Guice
- Proficient using SQL and designing Normalized Relational Database Schema
- Can thrive within an Agile team. Open to mentoring others on the team and sharing knowledge/experience
- Comfortable with pairing with developers and other team members
- Linux/Unix experience
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Experience using TDD and/or ATDD
- Identify when a certain design pattern could help and follow it to create working software
- Able to understand requirements and translate those to a domain then translate that domain to design working software (Domain Driven Design).
- Good written and verbal communication skills
You might also be good at (not required)
- Capable of using Version Control Systems such as git
- Familiarity with managed CI tools such as Circle CI, Travis CI or Codeship
- Experience with one or all of Cassandra, Kafka, AWS Kinesis or AWS Lambda is a plus
- Some experience with Apache Spark or Apache Storm/Heron is desired
You're excited by
- Learning new things
- Finding that great design pattern that actually fits!
- Having to share the keyboard every now and then to work something out with another collaborator.
- Personal growth and company growth
- An egoless environment!
- A great team that is committed to quality.
- A "design sprint" process (honestly we are trying to apply this to our company particularly and trying to understand how it works)
- Infrastructure being built for continuous delivery.
- Serverless infrastructure that can automatically scale with our needs (using AWS Lambda)
- Scrum planning process that reduces waste and keeps the team focused on delivering value.
- An open mind to new ideas and methods.
- A beta program which allows us to ask our customers whether our hypotheses are correct so that we don’t build the wrong thing (Lean Startup feedback loop)
- An allergy to unnecessary meetings
- A belief in “Sparketing” - it just means that Sales, Product and Marketing always work closely together. We don’t like throwing things over walls. We prefer collaboration.
What you get
- Retrospective after every sprint so that the team can improve every single sprint
- Join a great team
- Monthly One on Ones to give managers feedback
- Ability to contribute to building a great culture and define the direction of the company
- Competitive salary
Our core values
- We do the right thing
- Through open and real communication, we listen, we care, we serve
- We are curious, innovative and lean
- We hire and develop the best
- We face challenges with optimism
- We have a bias for action
Bachelors and 5 plus years of Software Engineering experience but will also consider Masters with 2 plus years experience. Your work speaks more loudly than education – we will consider all candidates regardless of education
What does your day at the office look like?
Your day will consist of a 15 minute standup at the beginning of the day to catch up with everyone on the team. Then you will get to work on your current story card. If any questions come up, you can ask it on the JIRA story card, or if urgent enough, directly ask the project manager by chat and/or face to face. You might also ask the business analyst to clarify a user story. The designer or the architect might ask you to change the way something works.