Engineering Field Technician - RDU
Mid-Atlantic (SUMMIT) – Field Tech /
Build your future as a Field Technician at SUMMIT, a Universal Engineering Sciences Company. As one of the fastest-growing engineering firms in the nation, we’re looking for bold new talent to grow along with us.
No experience? No problem! We believe in the value of hard work. If you’re known for your unmatched work ethic, reliability, and willingness to work in a team, you have the foundation needed to receive paid certifications and training.
Your role as a Field Technician will put you at the forefront of projects that are transforming communities. You will become an expert in concrete and soils field sampling, testing procedures, verification procedures, and the application of various construction materials. With projects ranging from complex roadway construction to single-family residential communities, you will gain the knowledge and experience necessary to take your skills to the next level.
What You'll Do
- Travel to various job sites in a company provided vehicle
- Perform sampling and testing on construction materials, such as concrete, soils, and asphalt using field equipment
- Observing and documenting field activity and reporting the findings to clients, supervisors and project managers
- Reading maps, following directions, and interpreting engineering and construction plans
- Communicate verbally and electronically with various field personnel and colleagues
- Other duties as assigned
- This position offers career advancement such as paid certifications and training.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Regularly exposed to outside weather conditions such as wet and/or humid environments, extreme cold and/or heat, dusty and noisy work environments
- Field work on outside construction sites involving long-term standing, sitting and repetitive motions
- Ability to use your senses to see (including close, distant and peripheral vision, depth vision and ability to focus), smell, hear and touch (use your hands to reach, climb or balance, crouch, stoop, crawl, kneel and sit)
- Some weekend and overtime work and/or overnight work and travel may be required. You may be required to drive hundreds of miles per day
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move/shake up to 40lbs (soil and/or concrete tests and related apparatus); frequently lift and/or move up to 60lbs (soil and sand samples, and nuclear density equipment); and occasionally move more than 100lbs. (such as a loaded wheelbarrow of concrete samples)
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years old for entry onto job sites
- Valid Driver's License with acceptable driving record
- Outdoor work experience
- Ability to read, write and use technology including phone and computer
- Preferred but not required: prior experience as field/engineering technician, construction materials testing or related experience
- Preferred but not required: Active ACI, ICC and/or NCDOT/SCDOT certifications and/or willingness to obtain industry certifications
SUMMIT Engineering, Laboratory & Testing, Inc. is a multi-disciplinary engineering and consulting services firm which specializes in Construction Materials Testing, Geotechnical, Environmental and Structural Engineering as well as Forensic Inspections, Residential and Retaining Wall Design, Subsurface Drilling, Chapter 17 Special Inspections, Advanced AASHTO, ACI, AMRL, CCRL and NCDOT Laboratory Testing.
In 2021, SUMMIT strategically merged with the Universal Engineering Sciences (UES) Family, becoming part of the Universal Engineering Sciences brand of companies.
Who We Are:
Our National Footprint
Recent acquisitions have opened more opportunities across the nation. SUMMIT specializes in a wide range of professional consulting capabilities to serve clients in the Carolinas and beyond.
The UES Family of Companies provides essential engineering services for some of the most prominent and significant projects in the nation. Our team members, from our drillers to administrative staff, contribute directly to projects that transform communities. With some of the greatest talent in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope, we are committed to delivering groundbreaking solutions for our clients. At the core of our success is our team members who make it all possible. We know that the projects we deliver are only as good as our people, which is why we offer enriching opportunities for career growth at every level.
Growing in Excellence
As the #1 fastest growing AEC firm on The Zweig Group's Hot Firm list in 2021, UES is poised to lead our industry into the future. As we evolve from a one-man operation to a company spanning 60 branches and 2,500 employees, we’re looking for enthusiastic talent to launch their careers and grow along with us.
Why Work at UES?
We value the individual contributions of our employees, and we show this through providing great benefits. To learn more about our competitive benefits please ask your recruiter.
Check out our website: teamues.com
Universal Engineering Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drugfree Workplace.
EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran Universal Engineering Sciences is a Drug-Free Workplace. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.