Grand Island, NE /
Midwest – Geotechnical Department-GSI Engineering /
GSI Engineering, a Universal Engineering Sciences (UES) Company, has an opening in our Geotechnical Department. UES is a nationwide leader in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Building Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope.
UES is thrilled to be named the #1 fastest growing AEC firm by the Zweig Group. The Zweig Group's Hot Firm list honors the fastest-growing firms in the architecture, engineering, planning, environmental, and construction (AEC) industry. For the first time in four years, a new firm, UES, took the number one spot on the 2021 list! Firms are ranked based on three-year growth in revenue, by both percentage and dollar growth.
Under the supervision of a designated supervisor or project manager, the Staff Engineer/Geologist helps to organize and carry out the field, laboratory, and technical work for a variety of projects. Receives considerable practical training to supplement previously-obtained theoretical knowledge.
- Locates, observes, and logs field borings, probes, and test pits from plan layouts
- Participates in drilling and sampling operations using manual or power-operated hand augering equipment
- Installs reads, and interprets field instruments such as observation wells, inclinometers, etc.
- Performs observations of field activities for compliance with project objectives and prepares reports documenting activities
- Practices loss prevention techniques
- Provides liaison with subcontractors, suppliers, and client representatives to achieve satisfactory field operations
- Is responsible for alerting the project leader or supervisor of difficulties encountered, cost and time overruns, change in scope requested by the client, potential liability exposure, or any other matter pertinent to the satisfactory completion of the project
- Projects a positive image of the Firm in all professional/personal contacts
- Performs other duties as requested
- Receives on-the-job training as required to develop technical skills and applies theoretical knowledge to practical problems
- Learns and applies loss prevention techniques, especially those pertaining to on-site work
- Maintains and updates technical knowledge through literature review and attendance at professional meetings and conferences
- Conduct activities safely and healthily and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements, including Geotechnology’s Life-Saving Rules. Conducts periodic job site safety observations
- Participates in group safety meetings and job site tailgate safety meetings
- Completes assigned safety training
- As experience is gained, less supervision is given, especially on repetitive assignments
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Geology
- Engineer-in-Training Certificate for engineering candidates preferred
- Must have an education background as indicated, with a strong work ethic and the ability to assess and react to project situations
- Good oral and written communication skills, including good technical writing capabilities
- A capacity for accuracy and detail in performing technical observations and analyses
- Ability to effectively use computers
- Ability to use initiative and work independently within the limitations of experience
- Knowledge of various exploratory and laboratory techniques
Who We Are:
UES provides essential engineering services for some of the most prominent and significant projects in the nation. Our team members, from our drillers to administrative staff, contribute directly to projects that transform communities. With some of the greatest talent in Geotechnical Engineering, Construction Materials Testing and Inspection, Code Compliance, Environmental, Occupational Health & Safety, and Building Envelope, we are committed to delivering groundbreaking solutions for our clients. At the core of our success is our team members who make it all possible. We know that the projects we deliver are only as good as our people, which is why we offer enriching opportunities for career growth at every level.
Growing in Excellence
As the #1 fastest growing AEC firm on The Zweig Group's Hot Firm list in 2021, UES is poised to lead our industry into the future. As we evolve from a one-man operation to a company spanning 60 branches and 2,500 employees, we’re looking for enthusiastic talent to launch their careers and grow along with us.
Why work at GSI Engineering, A Universal Engineering Sciences Company?
We value the individual contributions of our employees, and we show this through providing great benefits. Click here to see how we support our people in and out of the workplace. Please ask your recruiter what benefits plans apply to you.
Check out our website: teamues.com
EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran Universal Engineering Sciences is a Drug-Free Workplace. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.