Director, Investor Network & Relations
Boulder or London or New York
At Unreasonable Group, we believe entrepreneurs building rapidly scalable businesses are our best bet for solving the world’s most significant social and environmental challenges. Every day, our team strives to give these entrepreneurs tackling BFPs an unfair advantage. We do this by connecting entrepreneurs with the networks of mentors, investors, businesses, policy makers and specialists they need to scale. We also run world class gatherings and programs, such as Unreasonable Impact in partnership with Barclays, Unreasonable Goals in partnership with the U.S. State Department, and Project Literacy in partnership with Pearson. To get a feel for what this looks and feels like, check out our Unreasonable Impact in 60 Seconds video.
In order for our entrepreneurs to thrive, one of the most critical elements of support Unreasonable can provide is knowledge and access to a variety of investors and sources of financing (internal funds of our own and a much larger ecosystem of family offices and funders worldwide). We are now on the search for a Director of Investor Network & Relations (the “Director”) to significantly grow and advance our community of investors (formal and non-formal). This person must come with an unwavering commitment to entrepreneurs, a strong network of funds, family offices, and funders to tap into, and expert knowledge of multiple types of financing sources (including venture funding, angel investment, private equity, venture philanthropy, grant funding, debt, etc.). In this role, you will build and maintain one of the most powerful funder networks in the world oriented around some of the most promising investments of our time that sit at the intersection of impact and profit. You will be charged with establishing and maintaining meaningful relationships and partnerships with domestic and international top tier venture funds, private equity groups, foundations, family offices, philanthropists, sovereign wealth funds, unilateral aid agencies, and angel investors. You will also co-lead the development and implementation of an Alumni support strategy to ensure financing is a cornerstone of our long term support for our portfolio entrepreneurs. Furthermore, you will support our team in our efforts to launch multiple in-house investment vehicles.
The Director of Investor Network & Relations will report directly to the VP of the Global Network and will also play a significant role in working with the Programs Team. Furthermore, you will work collaboratively with the Partners at Unreasonable Capital. WARNING: This job involves significant international travel, as our programs run globally, and you will plan and host investor gatherings on multiple continents each year. If that excites you, you should keep reading.
- Design and implement a comprehensive strategy that develops one of the most powerful funder networks in the world - one that investors, philanthropists, top tier funds, family offices, and sovereign wealth funds world-wide desperately want to be a part of. Do what it takes – within the Unreasonable values =) – to make this a reality.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and lasting partnerships with this world-wide network of funders across all asset classes.
- Provide Unreasonable entrepreneurs with ongoing support during their fundraising process, helping them to develop the most effective fundraising strategies, as well as facilitating additional connections for them as needed.
- Continually connect Unreasonable alumni to strategic investors, funders, and philanthropists on a quarterly basis and into perpetuity.
- Curate invitations for and ensure that the right funders are in the room for all Unreasonable Demo Days and Private Funder Gatherings that you will be hosting and managing as part of this role. NOTE: Competitive candidates must come with an existing network of investors.
- Work hand-in-hand with the Director of Global Programs to ensure that all investor related events at Unreasonable programs deliver on their promises to our clients and most importantly, to the entrepreneurs we serve.
- Support Unreasonable Group and Unreasonable Capital in fundraising efforts and investor relations for internal investment funds, producing investment materials and serving as a liaison for prospective limited partners.
Who we're looking for...
- As you read about Unreasonable’s core values, you get more and more excited with each value you come across.
- You truly embody the Unreasonable core values and are thrilled to serve as an Unreasonable Ambassador to the investor and broader impact communities.
- You have an appreciation for entrepreneurship, particularly as an agent to drive economic growth and create global social and environmental change. We are an entrepreneur-centric organization and brand and are looking to build a team that holds this belief dearly.
- You are looking to contribute as an individual and most notably, a part of a team – humility, low ego, and an ability and willingness to learn new things are all prerequisites of this position.
- You are pathologically collaborative. You get energy from meeting new people and forging new partnerships. One of your greatest joys is managing a network and maintaining relations over time.
- You likely disdain the word “networking” but those closest to you say you are a masterful networker. You attribute this to your genuine curiosity and desire to get to know those around you and to the confidence and humility that you lead your life with.
- You are known in the investor community and share close relationships with a large and well-fostered network of investors and philanthropists.
- You have a strong understanding of entrepreneurs’ investment challenges and opportunities.
- You never drop the ball (i.e. if you commit to doing something by a certain time, it always gets delivered by that time. If you realize this isn’t possible, you then pass the ball or ask for help rather than drop it).
- You love research and take pride in deriving insights from arduous amounts of work.
- You have at least 5 years experience working with investors as clients or partners across initiatives you have been a part. You are equally able to work alongside a partner or team as you are able to take full ownership of a project from start to finish.
- You love creating and nurturing a strong sense of culture across a fast moving team.
- You are what we would refer to as a GyShiDo Master.
- You demonstrate courage and optimism. You are unfazed and adaptable in the face of change.
- You use excellent communication skills to gain the context necessary to perform and adopt a can-do attitude.
- You love collaborating in teams of diverse talents and skills, taking on work in a collegial, collaborative, open and friendly way.
- You believe deeply in the importance of open and honest communication in what you write, how you interact with your team, and by always following up and following through on your word.
- You are never the type of person who says, “That’s not my job."
- You are willing to learn things you don’t know, and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Have worked in a venture capital, private equity fund, and/or family office for 10+ years and have been a part of raising multiple funds and managing ongoing investor relations.
- Have been an entrepreneur yourself.
- Have a network of funders who trust you not just domestically, but globally.
- Have spent time working in international markets as either an investor or entrepreneur.
- Speak multiple languages.
Bonus points if you…
SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS JOB WELL MAY GO ON TO...
- Become a Partner at Unreasonable Capital.
- Become the head of one of the world’s most powerful networks of funders looking to move billions into impact investment opportunities.
- Become a Managing Partner of Google Ventures.
- Launch a $2bn fund with the United Nations to unleash the potential of entrepreneurs tackling the Sustainable Development Goals (although, we hope we might be able to do this one together).
January 24rd: Application goes live.
February 10th: Your application is due (note: should take less than 20 minutes to complete).
February 15th: We will give select applicants a small “trial project” representative of the type of work associated with this position. Though we will give you 6 days to finish your "trial project," it should only take a few hours to complete.
February 26th - February 28th: If you are invited to the next round of the process, we will schedule a 20 minute phone call with you.
March 3rd - 10th: Assuming both of us want to continue exploring the potential of working together, we'll fly you out to Boulder, Colorado, to meet with our team.
March 12th - 16th: We will conduct background checks and reference checks on the two to three most compelling applicants for this position.
March 17th: Assuming you made it through the reference checks, you will be notified whether or not the position is yours.
April 2nd (or earlier): Ideally, those accepted will be able to join the company full time no later than April 2nd, 2018.
“The object of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy Sh*t, What a Ride!'”—Mavis Leyrer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.