Vice President, Unreasonable Capital
The Unreasonable organization supports entrepreneurs and for-profit companies that choose to reframe global challenges as opportunities. We provide mentorship, connections to global leaders and organizations that accelerate a company’s development, and of course, investment capital.
- Investment Work. Working on all phases of investment identification, execution and follow-up support for the Fund’s investments:
- (1) Research: extensive market, company and competitor research.
- (2) Due Diligence: analysis of company information, development of the investment thesis, financial modeling and returns analysis.
- (3) Investment Documentation: Preparation of memos, term sheets and review of legal agreements
- (4) Post-Investment & Post-Programs: assisting Partners in the implementation of the investment plan – building management team, sales, marketing, branding, capacity improvements, etc.
- Group Support. Unreasonable Group creates multi-week mentorship programs for entrepreneurs who we believe are best positioned to solve specific global challenges. These programs also create deal-flow for the Fund. The Vice President will support Group programs by helping to research potential candidates for each program, performing preliminary due diligence, attending mentorship programs, and building relationships with the participating entrepreneurs by helping them with financial models, financing strategy, and a variety of other operating improvements. Ultimately, by supporting Unreasonable Group’s programming team and the process by which Unreasonable Group selects and vets entrepreneurs, the Vice President will increase the proprietary deal-flow into the Fund.
- U.S. and International Presence. The Vice President will spend up to 25% of their time traveling, building the Fund’s profile in developing markets such as sub-Saharan Africa, Southeast Asia, Central/Latin America or at locations in Europe or Asia where Unreasonable Group operates accelerator programs.
- Execution. This job is going to be hard. The Vice President will be expected to get the job done (i) in locations that may not have reliable electricity or internet, or (ii) working a full day immediately after 24 hours of flying to Africa or India. Consider yourself warned. The Vice President will stretch themselves constantly.
- Internal Communications. We believe in transparency, vulnerability, and pathological collaboration. In order for a team to achieve success, there needs to be open, honest, and frequent communication. We’re looking for someone who enjoys working with others, and enjoys putting in the effort every week.
- Values. Unreasonable’s ability to support entrepreneurs creating global change hinges on people feeling passionately about this work. If theUnreasonable Values do not resonate with your core, please do not apply for this role. It’s not the right fit for either of us.
Who we're looking for....
- You have an appreciation for entrepreneurship, particularly as an agent to drive economic growth and create global social + environmental change. We are an entrepreneur centric fund and brand, and look to build a team who holds this belief dearly.
- You are looking to contribute in any way possible – humility, low egos, and ability+willingness to learn new things are requirements.
- You have a minimum of four years work experience in finance or investments, including an understanding of transaction structures, business operations and improvements, and how financial statements (Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow) reflect business operations. If you do not know the difference between equity and debt, or what a share purchase agreement is, this isn’t the right position for you. We will ask questions to confirm this.
- You refuse to drop the ball (i.e. if you commit to doing something by a certain time, it always gets delivered by that time. If you realize this isn’t possible, you then pass the ball or ask for help rather than drop it).
- You have strong technical skills – Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, and Word, as well as their Google Doc counterparts, should be known like the back of your hand. Tell us why you love vlookup, indexmatch, or your other favorite Excel function.
- You have the ability to work independently and productively – You will learn from and be mentored directly by Partners but will often operate away from the office for extended periods of time.
- You love research and take pride in deriving insights from arduous amounts of work.
- You are someone who never says “That’s not my job.”
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Term: While this is formally structured as employment-at-will, in accordance with Colorado employment law, we anticipate this is a long-term opportunity. We commit to full transparency about the needs of the organization, new investment funds, and how we see you fitting into that future.
- Compensation: Both Unreasonable Capital and Unreasonable Group will provide a monthly-salary appropriate for the role and opportunity. We believe the Vice President will find the learnings, relationships, and future opportunity to become a Partner as compelling current and long-term compensation.
- Medical + Dental + Vision Insurance: Unreasonable offers all employees access to comprehensive health insurance plans, including medical, dental, and vision coverage.
- Cell Phone: If you are willing to switch to Unreasonable Group’s cell phone plan through T-Mobile, we will pay for your cell phone bill including unlimited voice, data, and texting in North America and unlimited data and texting in over 130 countries.
- Work Related Travel: All flights for work related travel will be covered by Unreasonable.
- Learning Fund: We will provide you a stipend of $1000, every two months, to continue your education in areas that further your personal and professional capabilities in any subject matter or experience that excites you most.
- Vacation Policy: We want our team to take vacation when they feel it is needed, and we won’t dock anyone’s salary for it! In return, we ask everyone give each other a month’s notice & no one drops any balls.
January 24rd: Application goes live.
February 10th: Your application is due (note: should take less than 20 minutes to complete).
February 15th: We will give select applicants a small “trial project” representative of the type of work associated with this position. Though we will give you 6 days to finish your "trial project," it should only take a few hours to complete.
February 26th - February 28th: If you are invited to the next round of the process, we will schedule a 20 minute phone call with you.
March 3rd - 10th: Assuming both of us want to continue exploring the potential of working together, we'll fly you out to Boulder, Colorado, to meet with our team.
March 12th - 16th: We will conduct background checks and reference checks on the two to three most compelling applicants for this position.
March 17th: Assuming you made it through the reference checks, you will be notified whether or not the position is yours.
April 2nd (or earlier): Ideally, those accepted will be able to join the company full time no later than April 2nd, 2018.
“The object of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy Sh*t, What a Ride!'”—Mavis Leyrer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.