Social Media Strategist
At Unreasonable Group, we believe entrepreneurs building rapidly scalable businesses are our best bet for solving the most significant social and environmental challenges. Every day, our team strives to give these entrepreneurs tackling BFPs an unfair advantage. We do this by connecting entrepreneurs with the networks of mentors, investors, businesses, policy makers and specialists they need to scale. We also run world class events and programs such as Unreasonable Impact in partnership with Barclays, Unreasonable Goals in partnership with the U.S. State Department, and Project Literacy Lab in partnership with Pearson. To get a sense of what this looks and feels like, check out our Unreasonable Impact in 60 Seconds video.
We also have a media team tasked with producing valuable content for entrepreneurs on Unreasonable.is, as well as growing Unreasonable’s digital community in a massive way across our various social channels. We are now on the search for an experienced digital media mastermind who has done this before – someone who intimately understands the importance of social media and content for building a truly global movement. The Social Media & Digital Content Strategist will help to anchor the media team, working alongside editorial and video teammates to produce integrated content and social media strategies. Ultimately, this person will play a critical role in representing the voice of Unreasonable to the world.
The ideal candidate for this role lives and breathes social media, understands the intricacies of audience and analytics, believes in the power of a strong and authentic brand, and enjoys producing high quality digital content for a purpose.
- Own the creation and implementation of an organization-wide social media and newsletter growth and engagement strategy that ensures Unreasonable moves from tens of thousands of followers to hundreds of thousands within the next year. (Note: Running social media and tracking its analytics will be close to 75% of this role.)
- Manage Unreasonable Group’s social channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube) and newsletters on a day-to-day basis, as well as company-related posts on the CEO’s personal pages, maintaining a consistent brand and voice across all channels.
- Own the creation and management of the social media portion of the media team budget, and oversee all expenses and campaigns within.
- Run paid campaigns and promotions to expand reach, acquire new followers and newsletter subscribers.
- Lead the building of relationships with key digital influencers, setting up cross-posting and sharing partnerships and getting them excited to join our community.
- Lead analysis of what social platforms we should maintain a presence on, and propose the most strategic approach to scaling across those platforms.
- Own the development and execution of viral social media campaigns, integrated across our video and editorial teams, and at times in coordination with our partners (e.g. Barclays, Pearson, the U.S. Department of State, Johnson & Johnson, etc.).
- Lead the monitoring and analysis of current social media trends, and forecast where the space is heading.
- Keep close tabs on the data across our various social platforms, and utilize analytics to better understand what works and what doesn’t. Then, lead implementation of strategies based on the findings.
- Stay informed and up-to-date about the work and milestones of all key people in our community – from our entrepreneur fellows to our mentors and Unreasonable.is contributors – and consistently spread the love across our social channels.
- Help drive the vision and content strategy of Unreasonable.is as it manifests on social media, stewarding the Unreasonable brand and representing its voice to the world.
- Allow the world to follow the journey of all programs that Unreasonable runs globally by managing an integrated and real-time social media strategy, sometimes for programs that occur in tandem.
- Work with partners (e.g. Barclays, Pearson, the U.S. Department of State, Johnson & Johnson, etc.) to plan and implement social media strategies, propose content ideas and target goals, and keep partners up to date on progress.
- Work under the guidance of the Director of Media – and in tandem with the media team – to constantly re-imagine strategies that best represent the voice of Unreasonable, building a movement the world has never seen before.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR....
- You have at minimum 3 years of experience in building a brand’s social presence from the ground up, especially during periods of fast growth and scale.
- You are supremely entrepreneurial and love to create content and test ideas.
- You are equal parts left-brain and right-brain. You are wildly creative, yet you love to analyze the details to make informed decisions.
- You believe magic is in the details. Every pixel counts, and you geek out about grammar. You love data. Nothing about it scares you, and you know how to confidently navigate Google Analytics and other data tracking platforms with ease. To be clear, you are an expert in analytics and data.
- You also love meeting and connecting with like-minded people, especially those with whom we could form interesting social media partnerships.
- You excel at creating infographics, GIFs, and other multimedia for social media channels. This stuff lights you up.
- You are a flawless multi-tasker, able to seamlessly shift between conversations, projects, and relationships. You thrive in this kind of environment.
- You are equally able to collaborate with a multinational partner or teammate as you are able to take full ownership of a project from start to finish.
- You enjoy working on a small, fast-paced team with autonomy and ambiguity, willing to jump on tasks as they arise.
- You show up with empathy, humanity and generosity. Your intent with all your work is to create positive impact—for entrepreneurs, your team members, and beyond.
- You believe deeply in the importance of transparent and honest communication in what you write and how you interact with your team.
- You are what we would refer to as a GyShiDo Master.
- You always follow up and follow through on your word.
- You are never the type of person who says, “That’s not my job."
- You are willing to learn things you don’t know and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- As you read about Unreasonable’s core values, you get more and more excited with each value you come across.
- Have built a social media following for an individual or organization from 10,000 to over 100,000 in a matter of months. Ideally, you’ve been part of a team that has hit 1M+ followers.
- Use the Adobe Suite with absolute dexterity and consider yourself a designer.
- Are well-versed in the entrepreneurial ecosystem. You know this space and who the influencers are. You have solid contacts and connections at such outlets like The New York Times, The Guardian, BBC, Upworthy, etc.
- Have lived and worked in a variety of countries, and you know how to reach many different audiences.
Bonus points if you...
SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS JOB WELL MAY GO ON TO...
- Start your own digital agency that helps fast-moving, impactful companies refine their brand, messaging, and media strategy.
- Launch your own multimedia platform that disrupts the current media world and leaves us all in the dust wondering why we hadn’t thought of that.
January 24rd: Application goes live.
February 10th: Your application is due (note: should take less than 20 minutes to complete).
February 15th: We will give select applicants a small “trial project” representative of the type of work associated with this position. Though we will give you 6 days to finish your "trial project," it should only take a few hours to complete.
February 26th - February 28th: If you are invited to the next round of the process, we will schedule a 20 minute phone call with you.
March 3rd - 10th: Assuming both of us want to continue exploring the potential of working together, we'll fly you out to Boulder, Colorado, to meet with our team.
March 12th - 16th: We will conduct background checks and reference checks on the two to three most compelling applicants for this position.
March 17th: Assuming you made it through the reference checks, you will be notified whether or not the position is yours.
April 2nd (or earlier): Ideally, those accepted will be able to join the company full time no later than April 2nd, 2018.
“The object of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ‘Holy Sh*t, What a Ride!'”—Mavis Leyrer
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.