Principal Data Engineer
Technology – Technology
Come drive the transformation of financial services, solve big problems and make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
Upgrade, Inc. is a new consumer credit platform that combines personal loans with tools that help consumers understand, monitor and improve their credit. The company raised $60 million in its first capital raise in March 2017, which remains the largest Series A round ever raised by a fintech company. While the founding team is very accomplished and the business model has been proven, we are still in the early days of this new platform and there is still an opportunity to have a significant impact.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and implementing new and better solutions for the greater benefit of consumers to join a team of 175 talented and passionate fintech engineers, product, credit, finance, legal, compliance, design, operations and marketing professionals.
· In order to provide useful insights to our data-driven organization, you will need to quickly gain a deep understanding of the business and how data flows through the organization.
· Develop data infrastructure to ingest, sanitize and normalize a broad range of data coming from a variety of data sources and in different formats.
. Support and lead specific ad-hoc needs and projects for different internal departments.
· BA/BS degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math)
· Excellent SQL and data warehouse skills. Experience writing complex queries on large data sets
· Experience with database modelling, stored procedures and understanding system process flows
· Experience building data pipelines from disparate sources
· A solid understanding of databases and large-scale data processing frameworks like Hadoop or Spark. You’ve not only worked with a variety of technologies, but know how to pick the right tool for the job
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills – Ability to synthesize complex ideas and communicate them in very simple ways.
· Highly analytical and detail-oriented
· Ability to troubleshoot and fix issues quickly in a fast-paced environment.
· Experience with next generation BI/DW technologies and concepts
· Experience in financial services
· Experience working in Agile development environments
· Great attention to detail
· Strong work ethic and initiative
· Highly motivated, self-driven and solution-oriented
· Downtown office location across from the Bell Centre
· Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, & vision
· Kitchen stocked with beverages, snacks & treats
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.